Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pics of my Collection

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

Re: Pics of my Collection

Check this scrapper out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	815.JPG 
Views:	14778 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	95728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	814.JPG 
Views:	14722 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	95729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	813.JPG 
Views:	14578 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	95730  
    Garrett 2500 Pro, Cobra Beach Magnet, Bullseye 140mm, and a Magnet on a stick.

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

I love the one below the obsidian clovis.

Name:	812.JPG 
Views:	14536 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	95731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	811.JPG 
Views:	14476 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	95732  
    surf likes this.

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

Ever seen a diamond point?

And check out the knapping on the point in the second pic.

Name:	810.JPG 
Views:	14418 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	95733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	809.JPG 
Views:	14330 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	95734  

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

What the heck? Some mini-scrapper with a handle?

Name:	808.JPG 
Views:	14234 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	95735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	807.JPG 
Views:	14147 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	95736  

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

My latest pottery finds... pretty big pieces too.

Name:	806.JPG 
Views:	14055 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	95737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	805.JPG 
Views:	13985 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	95738  

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

Pretty long points.

Name:	804.JPG 
Views:	13886 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	95739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	803.JPG 
Views:	13836 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	95740  
    surf likes this.

us
    Ben from NH, the Z means nothing

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    3669 times

speechless... just fantastic! So many museum quality pieces.
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain

us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    1755 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Dig,

This collection is unbelievable. I keep pinching myself...it's not a dream. This is a collection started by your grandfather, father and added on by you. How many years total? Also, found in many different areas of the country.

After seeing these, it makes me think about my collections (nowhere looking like yours) was started in 1965, by FIL and husband only when they found plowing the garden spot. Since, Jan '06 a new area was found on the property so I'm hauling them in.

Thanks, for sharing these with us!!

RR

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    187 times

Wow that is a fantastic collection! You better start framing some of those babies! I would eat at that table for sure ! Thank you for sharing these excellent finds! Thanks to your dad and grandpa too for giving us this treat!
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

Well, Dad and Grandpa have both moved on to the happy arrowhead hunting grounds, but they would have loved to hear all you guys compliments!

Parts of this collection were found all the way back into the thirtys.  However, the majority was found by my dad who was like me (or is it the other way around?) and was ALWAYS outside doing something.  Hunting, fishing, digging relics, or hunting indian artifacts, he was always outside.  My Grandpa was more of a city slicker who would tag along with my dad on many of his indian artifact hunting trips.  Grandpa couldn't have cared less about metal detecting or any of that other stuff, but he liked to go walk the fields.  I would say that the split is 60% dad, 20% Grandpa and 20% mine. 

Thing is, dad would go on weekend long hunts during the summer.  He would find someone who had found a _______ in their field and would ask permission and have them show him where they found it.  Then he would spend the weekend hunting it over and then wait for the next rain.  He would do this every summer and would always have seven or eight places to hunt.  This way he wouldn't wear out his welcome.  He might hit the same field about once every two months.  It was a good tactic. 

Thanks again guys!

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    17 times

Here are some of the doodles from the cave.

Anyone know FINN from 1873 or Dellmon Moris from 1900?

The second one has my hiking buddy in it... so it was slightly edited.  It's looking over the cave from the entrance. The holes in the back only go back about ten more feet. We estimated the size to be about forty feet across, 60 feet deep and about 30 feet high at the center.

Name:	768.JPG 
Views:	13772 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	95818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	794- edit.JPG 
Views:	13700 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	95819  
    surf likes this.

Aug 2006
    oklahoma
    253 times

Dig, I really enjoy seeing the pictures, and sorry it took me so long to respond (i'm rather slow). Ok, first off...let's discuss the Clovis. I'm sorry, that being authentic is a very hard stretch for me. 1 - Obsidian isn't typically found where you state that is from. 2. Even where obsidian is plentiful, Clovis people didn't utilize it in Clovis manufacturing quite as frequently as they did other materials. Less homogenous materials was favored, and for good reason. 3. The form looks odd on it..I would dearly love to see a closer picture of it. I'm not questioning your Grandfather finding it. However, it's entirely possible that it was planted or used as seed. This is VERY common everywhere, and nobody is immune. I know of several obsidian pieces found around here locally at dams that a modern knapper planted. Also, some of the others pieces look very strange (like the cross shaped items). They have steep edge retouch which looks like it was done by a totally different knapper on the edges...retouch. But, it could just be the pictures too! It's hard to tell alot from photographs, and it's super easy to get fooled by them (wouldn't be the first time for me). Thanks for sharing, and I hope you aren't offended by my inquisitive nature.

Aug 2005
    Collinsville, IL.

You have a collection that I would be proud to call mine. Thanks for sharing.
    badandy
    Go find some artifacts! Wait............What's this red button do?

TreasureTales

Holy crap DigEmAll, yours is by far the best personal collection I've ever seen. In fact, it surpasses many museum collections I've seen. Man oh man, what great stuff. I am so wanting to find something completely intact, most of what I find is broken or water tumbled and therefore not in the best condition. Your collection is ... well ... words fail to describe the quality, quantity and variety. Congrats on your efforts (and your father's and grandfather's) and on your collection.

The diamond-shaped points are quite similar to ones I have collected or been given which came from just east of my hometown (if I remember correctly).

The piece with the rocks cemented into the larger rock could be conglomerate. Why anyone would make a tool from it is beyond my comprehension, it's not a particularly stable rock.

Anyhow, thanks for posting the pix. Have you made any decisions about the future of your wonderful collection? IMHO, it would be a crying shame to ever piece it out. Sure, it could bring in a good return whole or pieced out, but the odds of any private party amassing such a collection again (unless through purchases) is probably slim. Something I hope you will consider carefully with many different scenarios in mind -- what its future will be. Do you have any children who are as interested in the collection as you? If not, please be sure to make plans for it and put those plans in your will. Geez, I'm still gasping after looking at those pix.

Jan 2006
    4 times

Its impossible!!!! very very nice! very very respect!
    ___ / **** \=======#
    /;|* Т-34 ****:\
    (@=@=@=@=@)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links