The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

H

hanjixlt

Re: A good day - 5 silver, 138 Wheat pennies.

Man.. that is simply unbelievable!!!! I've never been close to 100+ wheaties in a single day. I've hit the 30s in one day.. but that was a miracle. Was this in park or school yard. I'm not asking where.. just what type of environment?

Congrats. Great finds!

hanjixlt

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90

Geez, if you guys call this the iceberg maybe you will find the Titanic there, you`ve found everything else! Awesome finds love those old parks! keep up the good work!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

[
Mirage said:
That was nice as it has been a few weeks since I have found a merc.

If you knew the troubles most of us go through just to find one (which I never have >:() you would qualify that with a ROFLMAO.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow - that's a lotta diggin~

nice work!

hh

Y

Yooper

Re: 12/16 at the Iceberg - 70 wheats plus silver

Hey, check out this token that I found a few weeks ago in a local park!

Attachments

• Good Luck.jpg
    Good Luck.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 838

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ringfinder, it makes perfect sense that general coins would be here but I really don't know the reason behind the lack of silver in this particular area. And yes, most clad and nonwheat coins here are 60s, or otherwise early 70s.

Bjorn_MD, there have been some teen 's' mint dates, but nothing really great. Mirage had a 1909 (no VDB) in his lastest batch.
I know Dan and maybe Mirage would disagree, but I might think it's more fun to just find hordes of wheats constantly for hours rather than to sniff around and pull up a few stray silver coins. Thanks all, HH

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!

Find more dig more post more!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
12-23 Hunt at the 'Berg...first 2X big silver day for me and big$ coin for Nate!

Today started like many do at the 'Berg. Park, get out and check your backpack's contents. Extra batteries? check. Food and drink? check. Extra pinpointer? check. Multi tool and electrical tape? check. sniper coil? check(Sniper coil?...a new one for me and my first time trying one out)
Bob and Nate arrive a few minutes late (Nate's driving, accumulating hours before getting his license..and Bob's knuckles aren't white, so Nate must've done ok) and they quickly get their gear ready and we hike off into the woods.
We arrive first at the "Wheat Field" and right away start back on the torrid pace with wheat cents. There's hope for silver here as well as both Mirage and Nate found silver Washingtons there last week.
After my third wheatie I get a BANGING hit on my Ace that reads half. I cut a plug about 5" deep and my machine says it's still in the hole. Pinpointer buzzes saying it's close. I wipe some dirt away and there's that BIG reeded edge. I run back through the dense trees yelling at Bob "I've got big silver!" and grab my camera from my backpack. It's a 1940 Walker!!
After that big silver kickoff, hours go by and no more silver and my knees and back are killing me from the constant squats (not complaining...this place is, like I've said before...STUPID with wheat cents)
We take a break for salami sandwiches and coffee and get back at it. I wander away from them and try another area near a hill. This time I am using my new sniper coil and LIKING the way it pinpoints and lets me differentiate between close multiple targets. So what if it paints a small area. It's SOOO light you can easily sweep closely spaced arcs and there little strain on the elbow because of the weight.
BANG!!...another big hit and another solid ID at half....out pops another Walker. This time it's a 1942...also in great shape. Sweep the hole and out pops a 1947 Rosie!....as we were thinking of switching gears and trying another area altogether, I yell out and tell them to come over...that I had found a second half!
I know Nate wants to post on his own, but since I have pics of his find, I'll let you know what happened next.
Less that 5 minutes and maybe 20ft from where I hit the second half, Nate and his DFX unearth a 1908S Barber Half in EF condition!!...as Mirage and I stand there stunned, he nonchalantly pulls a Barber dime from the same hole!!...now we are just floored and getting into some weird zone that I have NEVER felt before.
I end up pulling another silver Rosie (1951) and some more wheats. I'll let Bob and Nate express their own finds in their posts.
Looking at my Redbook...let's just say that Nate's half is probably (no...IS) the coin of the year from the Iceberg!
Way to go Nate!!
Enjoy the pics...a bit goofy, but hey, that's how I felt today.

First Walking Liberty half I found today, just pulled.
12-23hunt 003.jpg

Closeup of Nate's Barber half, just pulled!
12-23hunt 005.jpg
Me and Nate and three half dollars!
12-23hunt 007.jpg
all today's coins for me
12-23hunt 008.jpg
closeup of my two Walkers..1940 and 1942
12-23hunt 009.jpg
my first ever multiple half day
dan.jpg

HH all...and Merry Christmas to all of you great folks on TNet!!

L

loganscott

Re: 12-23 Hunt at the 'Berg...first 2X big silver day for me and big$ coin for Nate!

Man! YOu guys have got THE spot. This ol' digger is a wee bit on the jealous side. Great finds!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 12-23 Hunt at the 'Berg...first 2X big silver day for me and big$ coin for Nate!

You have an eye for nice coins. good job.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

this place is beginning to rival the ol sharkpit! :o good god places like this are hard to find! just amazing!!

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent! But be careful, your eyes may start rolling on you ::)

Congrats!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Wow! Those are the days dreams are made of, or something like that. And that picture is hysterical! Way to go, guys.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This is an awesome post Danimal....Great story and pic's....Congrat's to the whole gang!!!!!

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

halfdime said:
Wow! Those are the days dreams are made of, or something like that. And that picture is hysterical! Way to go, guys.

Thanks Halfdime!
You shoulda seen the look on Mirage's face when I told him how I wanted that picture to look...he was like "whaaaa???" but being the good sport Bob is he played along.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 12-23 Hunt at the 'Berg...first 2X big silver day for me and big$ coin for N

Pics turned out nice. Just for the record books...did you count your wheats? Add it to 1101 and there's the total. Looking forward to Tuesday....

P

pickaway

Thats awesome congrats on your finds! ;D

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

Excellant story and finds!!
Your half-eyes picture cracked Me up ;D ;D
You three make quite the team-- I'm jealous!!
Congrats & HH2 ( happy hunting & holidays)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First off, GREAT WORK!!!

Three halves in one day is a feat!

I'd grade the Barber F-12 or VF at most. Not quite a full "liberty" in the headband is there?

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions