Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Re: Weekend hunt at the Iceberg with Mirage and Nate-50 silver total so far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Mac
    I found two merc dimes one day and thought I had hit the jackpot, but your haul is nuts. Wow. Nice finds.

Ted
    Ted-
    Before this, my best day was 3 silvers.
    Before this, in the 7 months I have been at this hobby, I had dug less than 40 silver coins.
    Before this, I had dug 5 Buffalo nickles in 7 months.
    And before this, I had been told by other far more experienced THers that I was doing quite well for a beginner.

This is straight out of a 1972 issue of W&E Treasures as far as numbers!!

BTW, LOVE Dio!!
    "The Beauvians are obviously reptilian"
    Riley Martin

Charter Member

May 2005
    192 times

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    Hey, how about straight out of a future issue? Write it up and send it in. With finds like those, it's a cinch!

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    Hey, how about straight out of a future issue? Write it up and send it in. With finds like those, it's a cinch!
    PBK-I would, but my concern for now is that the location of this place stay with me, Mirage and our two sons. It would be WAY too easy for thisplace to get innundated. I spent a LONG time finding this hotspot, and getting back into it is kind a hike too!!
    Now if I could write it up and not mention exact details, perhaps, but I doubt they would like that!
    Riley Martin

Charter Member

May 2005
    192 times

Now if I could write it up and not mention exact details, perhaps, but I doubt they would like that!
    No problem... they do it all the time. You can just be a little vague about the site: " an old farmhouse," "a small town park," etc. No reason why that should get in the way of a good story. Of course, you'd need to be careful not to include any easily identifiable landmarks in the photos. Go for it!

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What's up all. Here's my finds from the hot site. Yes, my MEASLEY four silver coins!! Also a 1923 buff, 17 wheats (some better dates), a 45-D and 42 quarter, some old thingy with a "T", and a thingy that reads "campus." I did score an 1876 seated dime (my third). That was exciting. The thing was pretty bad when I found it. I musta went through at least 40 Q-tips, both ends, scrubbing it with some silver cleaner (Mothers). Dan, did you check your wheats? These things clean up amazingly! I used ammonia and Q-tips. It's nice to find some older wheats for a change. Dude, thanks for letting us accompany you at the site! It was great even though I got annihilated for totals. I can't wait to find out what else is all going to turn up there. HH all!

Aug 2006
    The hills of central Kentucky
    Explorer 2
    35 times

Really great story you guys,excellent research and fantastic finds. I have to confess my favorite part of the story is that you shared the site with some great new hunting buddies that you met here on Tnet. I always enjoy reading the 'lunchtime digs' even when you dont find much its still cool knowing that others are just as addicted to this thing as myself. I think Mirage and Nate made the first gestures by taking you to their park and showing you some of the techniques that I know take a lot of work to perfect and you sure paid them back in a big way Dan. Im guessing that Mirage is using the Exp2? When I saw it there I instantly thought'hey thats my MD' I guess its a good thing they decided to make more than one because they will have to pry my cold dead hands off mine if someone wants it. Please keep us posted on the site as well as the lunch digs...and one more thing dont hunt that place too often lest someone catch wind of your comings and goings and barge in there...HH

us
    Dec 2004
    Florida
    Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
    54 times

Holy smokes guys, gimme a chance to re-attach my jawbone!

Now, that's what I call good research, well done, excellent digs and storyline.

Thanks for sharing, amazing. Makes me wonder what old parks are hidden around here......

WELL DONE

Sep 2006
    Maine
    White's M6 & Prizm III
    24 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Danimal.....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds and looks like you have a GREAT spot there...always nice when your research pays off, kinda like a reward for a job well done... Kudos also for sharing the site with Mirage, it may have cut down on your totals, but is always more enjoyable when you can share a hotspot with a fellow ethusiast (except for when they pull Franklin Halves out from under you... ). I;m sure Mirage will return the favor, although he may be hard pressed to come up with a hot spot like the one you found, so it works out for both of you.
    Myself, I wouldn;t have "polished" the silver, but that is my personal preference, and they are your coins, so do as you wish.. I do clean up my non key date IH's and Large cents, so I am not a purist either. Sounds like this spot will be providing lots more posts and I look forward to seeing all of the future finds from this area. Nice marbles too...gotta love the bonus finds, especially nice ones like that.
    CONGRATS!!! and WTG on both the research and the superb finds and amount of them, and also for sharing the area with a fellow hunter!!!!!!!!
    So many promising sites to detect...so little time....

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by shootist
    Really great story you guys,excellent research and fantastic finds. I have to confess my favorite part of the story is that you shared the site with some great new hunting buddies that you met here on Tnet. I always enjoy reading the 'lunchtime digs' even when you dont find much its still cool knowing that others are just as addicted to this thing as myself. I think Mirage and Nate made the first gestures by taking you to their park and showing you some of the techniques that I know take a lot of work to perfect and you sure paid them back in a big way Dan. Im guessing that Mirage is using the Exp2? When I saw it there I instantly thought'hey thats my MD' I guess its a good thing they decided to make more than one because they will have to pry my cold dead hands off mine if someone wants it. Please keep us posted on the site as well as the lunch digs...and one more thing dont hunt that place too often lest someone catch wind of your comings and goings and barge in there...HH
    Thanks for the kind words Shootist...and concerning my Lunchtime digs, it's gonna be hard for a little bit to get worked up about them, although yesterdat I gritted my teeth and went out anyways (albow and wrist still hurting a lot)Ended up with two early wheats, a 1946 nickle (one yr from silver) and a 65 clad dime (that one yr again)
    I didn't post them yet, as I might wait and do a weekly post on the Lunchtime digs, or take a rest and heal
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Man
    Nice haul. I love that you take pictures while you are detecting. Who was using the Explorer? Good luck and hh.
    That would be Mirage's (Bob) Explorer.
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nate in Ohio
    What's up all. Here's my finds from the hot site. Yes, my MEASLEY four silver coins!! Also a 1923 buff, 17 wheats (some better dates), a 45-D and 42 quarter, some old thingy with a "T", and a thingy that reads "campus." I did score an 1876 seated dime (my third). That was exciting. The thing was pretty bad when I found it. I musta went through at least 40 Q-tips, both ends, scrubbing it with some silver cleaner (Mothers). Dan, did you check your wheats? These things clean up amazingly! I used ammonia and Q-tips. It's nice to find some older wheats for a change. Dude, thanks for letting us accompany you at the site! It was great even though I got annihilated for totals. I can't wait to find out what else is all going to turn up there. HH all!
    Nate,
    That seated cleaned up pretty nicely. It had a weird yellowish creamy discoloration I haven't seen before. As far as checking my wheats, I only cleaned the area on the obverse for the date and threw them in the wheat bin, but yeah, a couple I cleaned fully, and was AMAZED at how good they look. No corrosion to speak of.
    No problem on letting you two hunt there with me. I would hope the same in reciprication.
    I'm juiced to get back there and find out what else lies hidden. Some of the area may not have the density of a few of those hotspots, but I bet there's good coins all over. It'll just take time and effort to get em out.
    One thing that amazed me is that the seated dime was apparently only a few inches deep, and a few of my Buffalos were...let's just say (for sake of revealing too much) MUCH deeper.
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Re: Weekend hunt at the Iceberg with Mirage and Nate-57 silver,17 Buffalos!!

Quote Originally Posted by DesPlaines_IL_Bob
    WOW !!!!!! JUST AWESOME GUYS !!!!!!!!!

HI HO SILVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You found a sweet spot. To find that many coins in an area tells me that it was probably a carnival or fair grounds for a few years or maybe an old baseball diamond.

TWO THUMBS UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bob-it was a picnic area...I will say that much. There was a concession stand for sure. Had to be. There MAY have been a ballfield there, but the research I have done has no mention of one. It's REAL difficult to visualize what existed then as the trees have nearly completely engulfed what MAY have been open fields. I DO know though that it was a picnic grove long ago.
    Perhaps there was entertainment there. Again, I have no proof of that other than coin density in small spots (look like typical clad pocket spills but silver/wheat)
    Before anyone gets the wrong ideas, we did find MANY coins already, but we have done a LOT of digging and moved a LOT of soil. These coins were NOT all packed together like sardines. There is also ample trash in the ground (nails, rusted harware) indicating (to me at least) that there were wooden structures that are now long gone.
    Being a fairground is a good guess...I though of that as well, but again, have no records telling me that, and I DID look into some quite old records of the area.
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nashoba
    After looking at this post yet again, still in amazement, Busted ribs or not, my butt would be out there from dawn til dusk daily. This is just crazy cool!
    ~Nashoba~
    I'll tell ya what-since my divorce, I schedule my vacation time in week-long blocks and my son and I have planned trips camping, mountainbiking, etc...and each and every year by the time school starts I am OUT of vacation time.
    What I would do for a day's vacation right now!!

maybe I won't feel too good tomorrow morning lol
    Riley Martin

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    12 times

Dan, I like your possible scenario of the the kids fighting and the mother with the purse. It is almost plausible. You know everything has an explanation. If you can't explain it it is religion(anthropological definition). I think that the more we can figure out how something got where it did the better a treasurehunter we will be. I gotten some very good explanations or theories from this forum about in general how coins end up where they do.

I figured out how that seated dime got where it did. Totally logical. I'll tell you in person so I can hear all the colorful remarks.

later

Bob
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Dan, I like your possible scenario of the the kids fighting and the mother with the purse. It is almost plausible. You know everything has an explanation. If you can't explain it it is religion(anthropological definition). I think that the more we can figure out how something got where it did the better a treasurehunter we will be. I gotten some very good explanations or theories from this forum about in general how coins end up where they do.

I figured out how that seated dime got where it did. Totally logical. I'll tell you in person so I can hear all the colorful remarks.

later

Bob
    I can't wait
    I thought Nate already explained the seated...some kid was carrying it from his father's collection. This kid MUST have been lightweight, and during the fight, another older boy grabbed him by his ankles and was swinging him around in a circle. The force flung the seated dime that precise distance from the others. The dime landed on a spot where a tree seedling lay. Over the years the tree grew, pushing the seated coin up shallower than the others, even though it was older.

We on for Sat (and Sun)? I'll have Spencer, and he's excited already. I have some new ideas too, including the one using the rare-earth magnets.
    Riley Martin

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links