Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Back from the Berg - 10 more silver

Postalrevnant said:
Just out of curiosity. What was it that made it the berg? Did you all say its a water spot? LoL I am far away from you guys so I am not trying to figure out where you all are, just curious about why berg?

Postalrevnant

I started calling the location the Iceberg because the first two times I started finding coins here (after two trips and perhaps 20 hrs there searching with minimal results) the amount of coins that started showing up was staggering. I referred to it as being "just the tip of the Iceberg", and subsequent excursions there have proved me right.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Return to the Iceberg on Saturday and Sunday-Iceberg tops 100 silver!!

I told Spencer I would let everyone know about that St. Mary's medallion he found. After more cleaning, there is a clear date on it. 1836. That's getting pretty old!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks for all the compliments. For the one pic I did get the overall layout design idea from Danimal.

duffytrash - thanks for the marble info. Never thought that they could be worth that much.

Bob

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Mirage said:
First off - Smokin finds!! ;D ;D But.....don't let Nate sway you to not polishing your finds.... Silver Rosies and most Mercs look better cleaned(even polished) and really do not loose any of their value. I thought your Buffalos turned out great with the Blue Majic.

So when are you going to teach me how to find V-nickels? :D I'm telling you I need a different detector or maybe a better spot. I did find 6 jefferson nickels Saturday. One was a 1939, four were forties and one a 1960. Guess I'm just off about 25 years. ::)

Bob-The V nickle was so worn and flat, I wasn't even sure WHAT it was at first. It was easily as deep as the deepest Buffs have been found.
What's the oldest Buff you have so far?
I think once Winter really unleashes it's fury we need to compile all finds here just to get a better grasp of what we have done.
I'm with Nate here that it's like being in a trance when we are on that site.
Are we on for this coming Sat.again? I wanna get a real early start.
Knowing the time-range from our finds, I think a SLQi s pretty probable. I have only one from this April at the middle school, but it's worn as smooth as a baby's a$$. Once with a readable date would be nice!
let's see...oldest coins so far
Nate's 1876 Seated Dime
My 1879 Morgan Dollar
My 1908 V Nickle
I have 2-1910 Wheats
My 1913 Buffalo

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My finds from the Iceberg on Sat. - 10 silver

Thanks all, the site is really giving it up. Shrecky, the wheats, when dug, have a bunch of dirt on them, but it comes off REALLY easily. I just scrubbed them with Qtips dipped in ammonia. Then to get some color back into them, a coat of olive oil does the job nicely.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Nate in Ohio said:
Thanks all, the site is really giving it up. Shrecky, the wheats, when dug, have a bunch of dirt on them, but it comes off REALLY easily. I just scrubbed them with Qtips dipped in ammonia. Then to get some color back into them, a coat of olive oil does the job nicely.

Nate,
I gotta try the ammonia thing. I was using peroxide on my wheats, but I haven't cleaned more than the lower right corner on the obverse in three weeks!

Your turn Nate for a larger silver!! (though you have found the oldest coin so far there)

I am kinda amazed an IH or two hasn't shown up.

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you guys are killin it at that spot! congratulations!

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Return to the Iceberg on Saturday-Pinch Me I am dreaming!!

DigMO said:
You guts are awesome...what a great spot!Love reading your posts about the iceburg.Really exciting.Wish I could be there,haha.Keep posting more!

DigMo-absolutely LOVE your avitar of Calamity.
I cancelled HBO because of them cutting Deadwood's last two seasons. It truly was some of the best TV I have ever seen!.
I MISS DEADWOOD

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

Bob,super nice finds.
The three Amigos score big time!! ;D
Fun to have partners and a good
place to hunt.
Congrats & HH
excellant pics!!!!!!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Really nice finds Mirage.

You know when a site has seen alot of action. Marbles every where tell you kids and teens rolled and played around there alot. I love old sites with a ton of marbles.

I'm sure there is still plenty of hits and good finds to come still. These spots don't come around to often.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

daytondigger said:
Words no longer are sufficient to describe your hunts at this silver meca. Congrats

Then how's about another picture!!(or two)

Attachments

• dirtybuffs-backgroundmercs.jpg
    dirtybuffs-backgroundmercs.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 9,237
  • rooseveltsurroundedbyliberty.jpg
    rooseveltsurroundedbyliberty.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 9,162
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Return to the Iceberg on Saturday-Pinch Me I am dreaming!!

Nate in Ohio said:
That Morgan is truly an awesome find! Earlier that day we were laughing (or should I say I was) about the thought of finding a Morgan at that spot. It doesn't seem so impossible now that I really think about it. Yes, the higher denomination silver that we're recovering is just great. Can't stop thinking about this site now! lol I'll post my pics soon.

Funny how just last weekend I dug that big ol' rusty washer and turned to you Nate and said "Morgan washer" lol...

Wish I could call them like that all the time!!

56 hours and counting

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Morgan

dfxmatt said:
Great virgin hole u got there.........should produce for a long time unless u guys keep going out in 4's lol.

You know what Matt? I love the fact that there's enough there where I felt comfortable sharing this spot's location with Mirage and his son. I was well aware of their combined capabilities and still felt it worth it to "share the wealth" so to speak. I can also say comfortably that even with the four of us hunting each weekend, it may take a while to feel like this wooded area is hunted out. I have made side excursions away from the "hot zone" and still found several spots saturated with fairly shallow wheaties...indicating to me that more and better coins are there just deeper perhaps.
If the place runs dry next weekend (and Bob, Nate, Spencer and I have talked about this) we are already elated with what's been dug, and thankful for what we have so far.
Get this: I started detecting in Feb. of 2006. I set only a few goals for my first year. My main goal was to simply find some silver coins.
In 7-1/2 months I had found 41 silver coins. I had been told by a number of TNers that I was doing quite well.
->in three weeks at this spot, the "Iceberg", I have more than DOUBLED the number of silver coins I have in my collection. I have quintupled the number of Buffalo nickles!

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Morgan

That's awesome dude,

I've been following the iceberg posts cool to see. Yah i agree about being happy with what you've pulled out so far. Anytime a morgan can come out of a place it's worth it. They don't come often. When I started 4 years ago i had a spot that was similar. I remember having to tell my brother about it cause when ur out there all alone making the finds with no one to share it with it kinda makes you wish there was someone. Sure enough, after i told him about it we had it hammered out after about a month. I still go there from time to time, but only come out with a few coins now and their hard to come by. Pound it while you can.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

dfxmatt said:
That's awesome dude,

I've been following the iceberg posts cool to see. Yah i agree about being happy with what you've pulled out so far. Anytime a morgan can come out of a place it's worth it. They don't come often. When I started 4 years ago i had a spot that was similar. I remember having to tell my brother about it cause when ur out there all alone making the finds with no one to share it with it kinda makes you wish there was someone. Sure enough, after i told him about it we had it hammered out after about a month. I still go there from time to time, but only come out with a few coins now and their hard to come by. Pound it while you can.

Exactly Matt!!...To me it's the same rush I got when bass fishing, and you want someone there to share in it, as well as your excitement at their catch(find).
It's not always about the coin or artifact itself, but that feeling you get when you start the plug and have your pinpointer turned on and the anticipation and that crazy rush when you see that silver reeded edge!

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

32 hrs and counting!!Dream state mode on

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Mirage is out at the 'Berg as I write this from my desk at work.
I am so jealous lol!!
Hope he has good stuff to post tonight.

17 hrs

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Mo

Dude, this has been the longest week!!! It's finally about that time!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Mo

Wow, great finds guys, what a site, mmmmmmmmmmm wonder if my partner and I are on the same site as you guys. Take a look at my post today. Silver and Copper hunt. We found a site that looks a lot like yours. Don't you just love OHIO. As the saying goes, OHIO has it all!!

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread