The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07 - Page 6
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree542Likes

Thread: The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    160 times

Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by dfxmatt
    That's awesome dude,

I've been following the iceberg posts cool to see. Yah i agree about being happy with what you've pulled out so far. Anytime a morgan can come out of a place it's worth it. They don't come often. When I started 4 years ago i had a spot that was similar. I remember having to tell my brother about it cause when ur out there all alone making the finds with no one to share it with it kinda makes you wish there was someone. Sure enough, after i told him about it we had it hammered out after about a month. I still go there from time to time, but only come out with a few coins now and their hard to come by. Pound it while you can.
    Exactly Matt!!...To me it's the same rush I got when bass fishing, and you want someone there to share in it, as well as your excitement at their catch(find).
    It's not always about the coin or artifact itself, but that feeling you get when you start the plug and have your pinpointer turned on and the anticipation and that crazy rush when you see that silver reeded edge!
    A2coins likes this.
    "The Beauvians are obviously reptilian"
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    160 times

Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Morgan

32 hrs and counting!!Dream state mode on
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    160 times

Mirage is out at the 'Berg as I write this from my desk at work.
    I am so jealous lol!!
    Hope he has good stuff to post tonight.

17 hrs
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    37 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Mo

Dude, this has been the longest week!!! It's finally about that time!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
    43 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Mo

Wow, great finds guys, what a site, mmmmmmmmmmm wonder if my partner and I are on the same site as you guys. Take a look at my post today. Silver and Copper hunt. We found a site that looks a lot like yours. Don't you just love OHIO. As the saying goes, OHIO has it all!!

HH, Ringfinder
    A2coins likes this.
    Minelab GPX 4500, Nautilus IIB, ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Depth Pro, Fisher 1235, Fisher F-75, Minelab Explorer II, X-terra 70

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    160 times

11-11 AND 11-12 Iceberg Hunt. Updated with pictures from Sunday's hunt.

Well......
    Got an early start today, figuring it gets dark so darn early lately. Weatherman said rain and dropping temps today. I arrived at the Iceberg about 7:30am, before Mirage and Nate arrived and started to set up. I brought along a 10x6' tarp and some bungees and I cleared an area of leaves where I had found a War Nickle and Buffalo right before dark last week and strung up the tarp in the trees to create a dry(er) area and decided to kinda 'camp out" today and really work the area clear of all signals (still lots of nails and other rusty crap in the ground here). It took me a while to get going as it was already raining steady and this spot was LOADED with tree roots, so I also brought along my folding Craftsman pruning saw and began literally cutting an approx 4'x6' area clear of roots. Before my detecting comrades arrived I had only found two wheats and was already wondering if I took all that time setting up in a crappy spot.
    Bob and Nate arrived a tad after 8 and they weren't there 10 minutes when I got a strange signal that really ID'd as ferrous but once in a swing clicked over to coin. I asked Bob to bring the heavy artillary over (his ML EXII) and see what it said before I dealt with the arm-sized root that was covering the pinpoint. Mirage took a minute and said iron, shrugged his shoulders and walked a away a few yards. I swung the ACE over it again and got another pop of the ring tone that said coin, but this time it ID'd between 1/2 and dollar coin. I hacked down and was about to hack again with the Leche but decided to bring my Whites pinpointer to bear and the sucker vibrated strongly. I reached into the hole(maybe 5-6" deep) and wiped some dirt away to see a beautiful silver reeded edge staring up at me. I called Bob over and dug a bit more dirt away and pulled out a 1935 Walker!! (my second Walker)
    That was a hell of a way to start this dreary wet and muddy day. Frequent coffee and food breaks (with Ibuprofen boosts) helped a lot. Later on I dug a SLQ as well (again, my second ever) and a good amount of other silver too!
    Totals for me today were
    -3 Mercs
    -2 Rosies
    -SLQ and 1945 Washington
    -2 War Nickles (my first 1944)
    -1 1934DBuffalo in VF (full horn)
    also a few early 40's Jeffersons and I think about a dozen wheats, with 2-1916's
    This, along with the silver Mirage and Nate dug, probably puts us over 120 silver from the Iceberg in 4 weekends. We'll get a final tally once the snow flies and the ground freezes. I might be back tomorrow, but these hunts are taking their toll on my body. I spent all last week in pain with a pinched nerve in my neck and upper back no doubt caused and aggravated by all this digging. (I am NOT complaining...I was THERE all day today wasn't I??..in the rain and mud!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 017.jpg 
Views:	9554 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	102491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 018.jpg 
Views:	9468 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	102492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 020.jpg 
Views:	9392 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	102493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 021.jpg 
Views:	9359 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	102494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 022.jpg 
Views:	9299 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	102495  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11huntthreeamigos.JPG 
Views:	9240 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	102505  
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    160 times

Re: Return from the Iceberg. Sloshing in the mud and rain and MORE big silver!!

few more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 023.jpg 
Views:	9241 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	102496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 024.jpg 
Views:	9188 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	102497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 025.jpg 
Views:	9136 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	102498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 026.jpg 
Views:	9121 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	102499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 027.jpg 
Views:	9097 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	102500  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11hunt 028.jpg 
Views:	9057 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	102501  
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    2462 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Dan,

Looks like you, Mirage and Lance had a very nice day despite the rain. Awesome finds! Now what kind of spider is that? It sure is colorful.

RR
    A2coins likes this.

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    160 times

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    Dan,

Looks like you, Mirage and Lance had a very nice day despite the rain. Awesome finds! Now what kind of spider is that? It sure is colorful.

RR
    Dunno what kind of spider, but we saw two of them like that today. Nate commented that it looked like the one that bit Peter Parker!
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    37 times

Exhausting hunt at the Iceberg, but still reaping silver!

Hey guys. Man what an exhausting day. I've never been so exhausted MDing EVER. I'm not complaining though, cause the finds are still coming as a result. Anyway, I got a 1936 quarter and a 1964D dime. Also a cool looking button and four marbles. This site is kinda tricky to figure out sometimes. One day you get 10 silver, another only 2. Still, it's hard to find this stuff anywhere else so if extreme physical labor is what it takes, then that's fine with me. Had a good time, despite it all, and the rain. If anyone recognizes the button, I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks, HH all!

A2coins likes this.

us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
    43 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: 11-11 Iceberg Hunt. Sloshing in the mud and rain and MORE big silver!!

Great finds for this rainy day here in Ohio. Dan, can I suggest something for your ACE 250. My partner and I both use the SunRay Probe on our ACE's. It is by far one of the greatest probes on the market. I know $179 sounds like a lot of money and it is, but once you use this fine probe, you will never leave home without it. It fits right on your detector and works off the batteries on your detector. It really is a great help and if you do decide to upgrade to another Garrett, you can use it on several models.

The post and most of the posts I have put on this forum this year are all finds using the ACE 250. Some of my water finds I use a Tesoro Tiger Shark. But all my land finds were with the ACE.

Great finds you guys and keep us posted, also thanks for the great pictures.

HH, Ringfinder,

P.S. mmmmmmmmmmmm wonder when Mirage is going to get a ACE 250 haha
    A2coins likes this.
    Minelab GPX 4500, Nautilus IIB, ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Depth Pro, Fisher 1235, Fisher F-75, Minelab Explorer II, X-terra 70

us
    Aug 2006
    earth
    27 times

Re: Exhausting hunt at the Iceberg, but still reaping silver!

once again thats some amazing finds
    you really have an axesome site
    A2coins likes this.
    How to clean your copper coins using peroxide:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...gen.html?cat=6

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    160 times

I kept offering you coffee Nate, but until I basically handed you a cup and said "drink this!" you said no thanks!...remember, coffee's legal!!

You're right though...today's conditions were way less than easy and sometimes the 'Berg just teases you.

I commend you for sticking with it and being patient.!!

I like that solid yellow marble!
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    37 times

Re: 11-11 Iceberg Hunt. Sloshing in the mud and rain and MORE big silver!!

Sweet Buffalo Nickel Dan! And the half ain't too bad either. You know I let you have that one. I didn't want to be too greedy.... I did do good on the Buffaloes. Came home with 5 for the day.

And for the record - I had a hard time getting my large coil in that hole. If I would have had on the small coil I most likely would have heard what you did. And there was a large iorn target right next to it. But none-the-less I still was impressed by your ability to pick that out and dig it.

Man, It took me a good half hour to clean up all the mud. Not the best conditions but the finds were worth it. I'll post my stuff tomorrow.

Later

Bob
    A2coins likes this.
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    43 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Nice button and great silver Nate. Can't help you on the button, but I bet someone on here will come up with the answer.

HH<Ringfinder
    A2coins likes this.

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links