Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that was my gut on that
bakergeol said:
Well olde Abe you sure have a lot of balls.

I debated if I should post this BUT......
If these were found in Virginia no question but these were found
in the west. Is it a possibility that these are ball mill balls which were
used for grinding ore? Perhaps a weight and size investigation and a
reply by folks who are more knowledgeable on grape shot would be in order?

Great find
George

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Hi Guy,
Thanks for all the great comments.
Does anyone know how I could get these authenticated? There are no markings on them. I was doing some searches on the web to try and find some cannon balls that the Spanish would have used to compare them to, but I'm having no luck. Any help would be great. I will post the weight and measurements for the three different sizes that I have.
Abe

Update......
A couple of these were sent to an expert and I was told that these are 18th century Spanish cannon balls which were probably made for a cannon on a ship.

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Now that is too good.......!!! and exactly 679 more than I have ever found. i believe I would have to go with the general consensus on this and say that they would make great Christmas gifts for your TN buddies......great find, can't wait until i have to go buy a little red wagon" to haul my finds home in. HH....Abe.........gregd573

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now you got me thinkin' on this one.....We'll wait!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you must be in relic heaven! this should be an article in W&ET. awesome post! congrats!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Abe said:
At first it appeared to be just an old shed, but after looking at it better it looked like an old Spanish Ammo Stop or storage shed. It had three windows with iron rails across them and below the windows were rifle slits / openings.

My Uneducated Guess From this Comment tells Me Cannonballs.

You need to Find out from what Period.

Get us some Pictures.

JEFF

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
WOW! What an awesome find.Congrats and I hope you will post some pics from where you found them.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W, this is truly amazing. Congratulations!! My name is on the Christmas list too. ;D

;) RR

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Wow, I was gonna sat Holy smokes but i was beat to it Make sure there not "counterfite" LOL

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
After you get all the balls out of the ground you can try for relics to date the site and learn about the builders. Betcha find some good smaller stuff there!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Wow,Wow,
I was happy when I found my first 6 pounder this spring, man you guys sure out did me. What a find, can't wait to
read your story in Western & Eastern. I'd be posting those in the Best finds of the Year also. Congratulations again.

HH, Ringfinder

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~MERRY~ ~CHRISTMAS!~

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wow!

Awesome finds! Congrats!!!!!

Nana ;)

T

TreasureTales

Wow! Whatever they prove to be, there sure are a lot of them!

Determining whether they are cannonballs or (mining) ball mill balls might hinge on the type of building at which they were found. Could you take a photo of the builidng and post it here? I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have to agree with the other poster. I'm thinking these were used in milling ore. Did you find these in Nevada or California?
Here's a link to an article about one ball mill in California. The story explains the process by which ore was crushed before going to the smelter. http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/mammoth_consolidated_mine.html

Rowdy Yates

Nov 15, 2006
Coulterville, California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yep, I agree on the Ball Mill theory,

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news...... (and hopefully I'm wrong), but if I'm not mistaken, those look an awful lot like the iron balls from an old Ball Mill. Were these found in a mining area??

Ball mills were used quite a bit in the Mother Lode, and I've found quite a few of them balls over the last 20 years in exactly the same sizes as in your pics.

Rick

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! I have a ball that is flattened on 1 side. It was given to me by my uncle. He found it in the 80's at Ft. Supply. That's my future trip I just cant get any1 to go with me.are they all lead?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread