Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 679 Cannonballs found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    31 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: 679 Cannonballs found

Wow, I was gonna sat Holy smokes but i was beat to it Make sure there not "counterfite" LOL
    Leave no stone unturned.

Sep 2004
    clarkston,wa.

After you get all the balls out of the ground you can try for relics to date the site and learn about the builders. Betcha find some good smaller stuff there!
    Nautilus DMC IIBa

us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    18 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wow, Wow,Wow,
    I was happy when I found my first 6 pounder this spring, man you guys sure out did me. What a find, can't wait to
    read your story in Western & Eastern. I'd be posting those in the Best finds of the Year also. Congratulations again.

HH, Ringfinder
    Minelab GPX 4500, Nautilus IIB, ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Depth Pro, Fisher 1235, Fisher F-75, Minelab Explorer II, X-terra 70

Nov 2006
    South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
    White's DFX

Paul Bunyan is looking for his lost collection of steely marbles, and boy is he pissed! Great find!

Watch yer back!

Tourezrick
    Political Correctness - a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

us
    NAVY COMBAT CORPSMAN

Nov 2006
    Park Hills, MO
    Garrett ACE 250

That could be the find of a lifetime!
    COINS FOUND WITH ACE 250 (2010)

Pennies -116*
    Nickels - 7
    Dimes - 28
    Quarters - 25
    Halves - 0
    Dollars - 0
    Gold / Silver Rings - 1

(*6 Wheat Cents)

~MERRY~ ~CHRISTMAS!~

Wow!

Awesome finds! Congrats!!!!!

Nana

TreasureTales

Wow! Whatever they prove to be, there sure are a lot of them!

Determining whether they are cannonballs or (mining) ball mill balls might hinge on the type of building at which they were found. Could you take a photo of the builidng and post it here? I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have to agree with the other poster. I'm thinking these were used in milling ore. Did you find these in Nevada or California?
    Here's a link to an article about one ball mill in California. The story explains the process by which ore was crushed before going to the smelter. http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/m...ated_mine.html

Nov 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    White's MXT
    30 times

Yep, I agree on the Ball Mill theory,

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news...... (and hopefully I'm wrong), but if I'm not mistaken, those look an awful lot like the iron balls from an old Ball Mill. Were these found in a mining area??

Ball mills were used quite a bit in the Mother Lode, and I've found quite a few of them balls over the last 20 years in exactly the same sizes as in your pics.

Rick
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    It's all good!!

Jan 2006
    oklahoma
    bounty hunter pioneer 202,505, Tesoro Vaquero
    12 times

Wow!! I have a ball that is flattened on 1 side. It was given to me by my uncle. He found it in the 80's at Ft. Supply. That's my future trip I just cant get any1 to go with me.are they all lead?

us
    Oct 2006
    Landlocked
    Fisher 1280x/ Aquapulse/ WHITE'S II

You could supply a small army of artillery men with that. Holy cow!!
    Divers and pirates get all the booty

Jul 2006
    Germany

WOW! Id buy some off you!

us
    Feb 2005
    Bavaria Germany
    Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

That is the mother load, awesome!!! Maybe you can research the site over winter and find out more about them. I thought my two cannon balls were great but 679, whoa, LOL! HH and a big congrats, Mike

May 2005
    19 times

Wow.

I've got an area where three, (3) have been
    found in the last 60 some years.

I would love to find the 4th.

You folks come up 679

Again, Wow
    Nice find.

have a good un....
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

Sep 2004
    Indy
    2 times

Cool finds indeed....but to me it looks like a win-win situation for you. If they are mill balls and not cannon balls they 1.) are still historic and; 2.) you must be pretty darn close to a big mine of some kind. I can't imagine that if they are mill balls that someone would just be carrying them around for something to do . They were there for a purpose rather it was a Ammo depot or mill area of some sort still pretty cool to have and to have found. Post the pics of the area as long as it won't give the location away, else you might go back in the spring to an empty site. Like the others have said W& ET definitely.

Dave

Charter Member

May 2005
    81 times

I thought that these had already been confirmed as projectiles. If not, maybe there's an easy way to settle this "Cannonball" vs. "Mill Ball" debate. From your other post, I know that you've weighed and measured the various sizes. Why not send the photos and specifications to Jack W. Melton, Jr., coauthor of Civil War Artillery Projectiles, and see what he says? I'm sure he'd be interested in your find... especially if the subject header for your e-mail is "679 Cannonballs Found!" There's also a ton of info on his website.

Address: jack@jwmelton.com

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsors