UPDATED.dug me some bottles..YESSSSS...or was buried for a reason??cleaned pics

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
well, today off to my closest GT, i planed a route where i was gonna hit my target the hardest. i found nothing except a old maybe toy gun parts? when i finally get to my destination i probe a little bit with my steel rod, bump bump. i dig and see glass, old glass. then i see another by it, im like whoot whoot. 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 50, 60, around 80 total!!!! by days end im still digging and pick the keepers, 59 to be exact, packem up and relize i cant carry this stuff all way back to the car. its too heavy. i walk to the highway, stash my finds and gear, walk about a hour, get my car and pickem up;) ends up being chemical bottles, the problem, most still contain thier contents, powders, liquids. i brought my gloves but didnt bother wearing them. im searching the net and see alot of this stuff are no no's. i was lucky, i was showing my fam the hydrochloric acid bottle, and the stopper was loose, i took it out and poured onto the gravel. man when it hit the rocks it sounded very angry, even after a century. i hope i didnt poison myself today by handling the soil. yes there was chemicals in the soil from broken bottles. i just had a baby girl and would like to stick around. these bottles are awesome, makers are whitall tatum co pat 1879, B & A C co( cant find any info on these people, they made the jar ones), and MCW. all have seams ending before the top.
here are a few embossings, con acid hydrochloric, hydrogen sulphide, con acid nitric, indigo solution, potassium iodide, phenoiphtalein, ferric chloride, ether, nesslers solution, alcohol, potassium ferrocyanide, silver nitrate, ammonium sulphocyanide, lead acetate, sodium carbonate, sodium hydroxide, platinic chloride, calcium sulphat. I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP MY BOTTLEs, BUT AM NOT TO FOUND OF THE CONTENTS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?????? WILL THE LIQUIDS BE FINE AS LONG AS THEY ARE SEALED???? THE POWDERS I CAN CAREFULLY REMOVE. what would you do????
thanks all!!!
p.s. ill be back there soon searching for the household items dump;)

Attachments

• zbot4.jpg
    zbot4.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 15,358
  • zbot.jpg
    zbot.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 15,040
  • zbot3.jpg
    zbot3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 14,991
  • zbot2.jpg
    zbot2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 15,048

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason????

My advice would be call the Non-Emergency line for the fire dept. They have a Haz-Mat team and can answer all of your questions. They may even come out and take care of the bottles content for you.....Maybe ;D If you have a bunch of chemicals in bottles and you are not sure what each one does and the reaction it may have to other chemicals, I would get rid of that as fast as I could! Just my 2 cents ;D

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason????

OMG! First of all do NOT store them inside! >:( Although they are beautiful, those bottles aren't sealed tightly.
I'm not a chemist but I do know a few of those are extremely hazardous. The potential for poisoning and explosion is there.
Wear gloves and contact your nearest hazardous waste depot to find out how to dispose of them properly.
I'm sure someone here will know more on the subject. In the mean time, don't go dumping anything on your driveway! >:(

It is a really cool find though. ;)

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004

What a find. Way to go there you have an instant mini museum of lab supply bottles. In regard to the contents and their handling and subsequesnt disposal I would always wear gloves of the heavy chemical grade. These are available where I live for a dollar a pair as military surplus items in sealed bags. Don't combine or breath the contents avoid skin / eye contact.

Find out if there is a toxic waste disposal near you where paint ect is taken in. It could be listed in the local government section of the phone book. Speak with the manager of the facility and state that you have museum grade antique glass containers of old lab supply chems. The manager should be able to inform you of what their procedure is. I am thinking that depending where you have these bottles stored there may be local regulations that could create a reaction depending on the quantity and toxicity they percieve ending up having a hazmat team arrive and do a clean up and maybe bill you for costs. Homeowner Assn. may go banannas if one is involved. I say this because I know of a man that was simply producing bio diesel in his garage. Someone reported seeing a possible meth lab after having spotted the fuel processing and storage tanks through the open door of the garage. Thats when all hell decended on our friend the fuel producer. He was even forced to get rid of his gas welding tanks so my brother in law ended up with them.
It may be advisable to store your bottles that need emptying in a rural area where no curious types can get into them. Then check the options and be very careful with the contents there are some potentially risky ones keep water away from the acids keep the rest contained.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

oh man, i knew you all would say this. i guess i was not thinking, too much adrenalin. well first thing tomorrw, i will see what to do with the non labeled full ones and research each labeled full one and see if its safe. , the most i will lose is maybe 10-15. i do like oldbillin's idea. about the hazmat i dunno, questions will arise and , well we all know where questions lead to. i may call for some info, thats about all. as for the location, whatever is still there will be safe, and so will the bottles that need to be returned. its a MIRACLE that i found it, seriously;)

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50

sounds like there was an old photography shop around that area some of those chems were used in photo developement and some were used to do etching in metal. and be carefull ferris chloride can be dangerous if it is solid form if mixed with water it could emit hydrogen chloride fumes not a good thing .just figured i'd let you hear what little i know on the chems just be carefull when cleaning them up

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

That's funny!!!
Not really - but it did make me laugh a little - kind of like the dog who actually caught the car - now what do I do with it?

Nitric acid may be disposed of by neutralizing with water and alkaline material (such as soda ash, lime, etc.)

Just look at the contents and google "Nitric acid disposal" or whatever (_____disposal), to get the answer.

Have fun!
Nice bottles!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang, I would be very careful. Especially with the ones containing cyanide. You don't want to mix anything with those to cause fumes or smoke. You could have some DEADLY stuff there. Honestly, I would be afraid to handle those. I work with chemicals for a living. Some of the ones you listed are very dangerous. A hazmat team would be my next call. Here are 2 links to search for the chemicals so you can see how dangerous they are. Some of the names are outdated but you can see what the main ingredients can do to you. Some are cancer causing, mutagens and teratogens. I wouldn't even touch them again if it were me.

http://web.doh.state.nj.us/rtkhsfs/factsheets.aspx?lan=english&alph=A&carcinogen=false&new=false

http://www.msds.com/

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

those are cool finds! I thought digging up grenades were dangerous, but at least you have an idea how to take those apart. I hope they don't take your bottles away :( I would research how to do it safely, if possible.. and take the contents out yourself, using safety gear, etc. keep us updated :)

potsy

Jan 23, 2007
Youngstown Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah i would get some opinions, but the bottles are sweet. Reminds me of Chem class making hydrogen balloons. Pretty sweet when you light them with a lighter :) I would do some research and dispose of the chems, properly, hydro in the toilet with lots of water, it'll definitely get any rings out. Just flush it a few times. If some of the acids are still good, i don't know the shelf life, maybe use them for whatsit identification, acid tests on rocks etc, You know you know, Watch out for cyanide.

FandHPhoto

Feb 13, 2007
Visalia Ca -Central Valley AKA The CROTCH of Calif
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason?

In this day and age of Post 911 I would not be suprised that someone who has read this post has not already alerted the authorites on this... who knows what kinda stash you stumbled on... and the board who have to give up your info (ip address email address etc etc etc...) to the authorites...

(I say this is 100% seriousness) there are posts on the net that people have done as a JOKE... and have later come back to bite that person in the rear later on...

IF I were you.... and I am hoping you have as much sense as most of the replies here... you alert the authorities... and have them resolve this mess asap... otherwise your looking at being fined for possibly dispoing of 1. evidence? 2. haz materials the list could go on...

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason?

I removered my post as I don't know US law and get scared when someone mentions the patriot act.

I nocticed in your photo that your holding a bttle by the neck-people get HAMMERED for that at uni! They're delicate there so please always get a good grip-I've actually SEEN jeans that were 'eaten' off someone who spilt acid on themselves.

Be careful. Don't eat it. Don't drink it wear gloves and you'll be fine. Nothing super scary there.

Contact your local uni and talk to a lecturer or whatever they have in chemistry-they'll set you on the right path.

Here if you call in Hazmat you lose it-full stop-no arguements. I think that would be a bad outcome for such beautiful bottles!

Have fun,
Salvager

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just thank the lord that while "probing " area you didn't break / mix anything

yep busting them up and thus blindly mixing the chemicals could have been a real nightmare, poisonous gas a real chance with some of the stuff-- but great find--just becareful with them --at the least store stuff outside to be on the safe side.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just my opinion again, but I would not just dump those chemicals out because the EPA could fine you big time. Depending how serious it is you could serve jail time. Just pouring them down the drain could get you in trouble. Please don't think I'm trying to be a know it all or just being paranoid. Some of those ARE carcinogens and mutagens. The EPA does not take it lightly when people discard those chemicals outside or pour them down the drain.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW, Lotta Bottles ;D

Very Cool !

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

DO NOT just dump 'em, it's EXTREMELY dangerous. some of the chems you listed are VERY VERY volatile if mixed, even explosive. If you neutralize them, that does not always make them safe, and probably will not make them mixable(even if poured out). The other problem in self-disposal is that many of those chemicals are very dangerous environmentally, and it would be a very large federal felony to dump them.

On to the next issue. with what you typed in your description, if this site is monitored at all, other "people" now know what you are in possession of. Several of those chemicals are illegal to possess without a proper federal permit, so if they are aware that you have them and you don't turn them in you could get in BIG trouble. Possession of potential explosive-making ingredients is a violation of the "patriot" act.

In the good news, if you contact the fire department/haz-mat, you should be able to get the bottles back. I would contact a local historical society to make sure you have some kind of protection for a historical find. I don't think any FD in the world wants to go up against those history fanatics when it comes to destroying a historical find.

It all comes down to the fact that you really do need to contact someone for proper disposal, just make sure you cover your bases and it shouldn't be a problem.

FandHPhoto

Feb 13, 2007
Visalia Ca -Central Valley AKA The CROTCH of Calif
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250

gold fish said:
DO NOT just dump 'em, it's EXTREMELY dangerous. some of the chems you listed are VERY VERY volatile if mixed, even explosive. If you neutralize them, that does not always make them safe, and probably will not make them mixable(even if poured out). The other problem in self-disposal is that many of those chemicals are very dangerous environmentally, and it would be a very large federal felony to dump them.

On to the next issue. with what you typed in your description, if this site is monitored at all, other "people" now know what you are in possession of. Several of those chemicals are illegal to possess without a proper federal permit, so if they are aware that you have them and you don't turn them in you could get in BIG trouble. Possession of potential explosive-making ingredients is a violation of the "patriot" act.

In the good news, if you contact the fire department/haz-mat, you should be able to get the bottles back. I would contact a local historical society to make sure you have some kind of protection for a historical find. I don't think any FD in the world wants to go up against those history fanatics when it comes to destroying a historical find.

It all comes down to the fact that you really do need to contact someone for proper disposal, just make sure you cover your bases and it shouldn't be a problem.

My point to the "T"..... I honestly hope you do contact the correct folks on this issues and do not end up having them contact you.... and I hope you can keep your finds as well..

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

GREAT BOTTLES!!! Not to mentioin a very deadly combination. I don't think HAZMAT should even be JUST an "option". I think it should simple be the ONLY OPTION! They can dispose of the chemicals safely and I am pretty sure they would reward you for finding such hazardous material and getting them out of the ground. Talk about an Eco hazard. WOWZA!
~Nash~

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

No advise... just sweet digs!! Hopefully you can get them displayed without an bio-hazard team tearing your house apart! LMAO....

Either way... AWESOME!!!!! I'd be happy with just the stoppers!!!!!!!

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

Fantastic Bottles!!! Congrats on Finding them!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread