Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James "Whitey" Bulger

In honor of the capture of the FBI's newest #1 wanted man James "Whitey" Bulger

Whitey has been on the run for well over 16 years, and the FBI never gave up their search for him. It alll finally paid off early Sunday morning with the arrest of one 81 Whitey Bulger.

There are 3 books that cover some of the exploits of Whitey.

The Brothers Bulger, Howe Carr - great bio type with good insight to his early years and development.

Brutal, Kevin Weeks.. The inside story from Kevin, truly a fascinating read.

The 3rd, is written by former FBI agents that were assigned to Whitey

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: James "Whitey" Bulger

Where did he live Spart?

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

His earlier years were all in Boston. He was a true "Southie." I know he often visited NYC and I bet he hid here for a few years in "Hell's Kitchen", before moving out to the west coast. Hell's Kitchen was a big Irish mob stronghold from the 50's through the late 80's.. I am sure you may have hear about the "Westies", or even saw the movie "A State Of Grace". These Irish mobsters were a bit out of control. :laughing7:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

I read 'The Westies' by TJ English, as well as a bunch of other mob books back in the mid-90's. Jimmy Coonan and Mickey Featherstone were str8 psychos. They killed a dude, chopped off his hands, then stuck them in a freezer. Then they would go shoot someone, take the gun to the house where they had the freezer w/the severed hands, pull them out and pat the gun down with them. Then they would toss the gun and the cops would be looking for a dead guy to charge w/a murder rap. They were brutal. I think one (Coonan, I think) killed a dude over 10 bucks.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco, you are right about them being ruthless killers... What you may also find of interest is that the Italian mob also had the Westies do some of their dirty work, but the Irish didn't trust the Italians either. You may have heard about Roy DeMeo (Murder Machine) learned how to carve up the bodies from Coonan. DeMeo then took that skill back into the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, and worked his craft in the Gemini Lounge... Some patrons checked in, but never checked out :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread