33.4 KB · Views: 361
  • pluto 011.jpg
    pluto 011.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 367

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figure the odds on THIS. I just bought a Pluto Water bottle today from a friend; Goggled "Pluto Water"; got the info for a file folder; NOW, I find your post. Man, talk about a Cosmic Incident!! ;D Oh, I paid $2 for mine.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
How serendipitous!!!

Mine still has the cap on it...that's why I haven't been able to really clean it.

it is a kicky bottle...I'd love to see a pic of yours!!!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okaaaaay. I'll try to post some that I Just cobbled together quick and dirty. ;D

The bottle is 11 inches tall.
Bottle1.JPG

Here's the side embossing.
Bottle2.JPG

Used crimped caps.
Bottle3.JPG

The 'lil devil on the bottom.
Bottle4.JPG

Trying to show the embossed measuring lines around the perimeter.
Bottle6.JPG

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a teaser.

The Pluto bottle standing with a ruby red wine bottle found in the area of Rocky Springs, MS. (on the Natchez Trace) back before the old townsite was made a park. It's 14 inches tall and 2 & 7/8 inches in diameter. Has an applied ring top and a recessed pontil (I think that's what it's called ) bottom. Beautiful color.

Bottle7.JPG

Here's that bottom.
Bottle7.JPG

And the applied ring top.
Bottle2.JPG

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Nice hock wine bottle, but not old enough to be pontiled. Probably 1906 to 1920 time period.

I'm not real knowledgeable about old bottles. The recessed bottom has a glass pimple, about 1/4 inch wide, in its center. I thought that might be the pontil. :icon_scratch: There's no mold seem, but there is a slight depression going around the circumference at about 3 & 1/2 inches up from the bottom. My friend told me that it shows an "attached" bottom---whatever that means. Also, there are numerous small bubbles inside of the glass, all over and the color is a beautiful ruby red, evenly dispersed. I may have blown $10 and I may not have, but I still like this bottle. :thumbsup: I'm going to "bone up" on old bottle nomenclature, markings, and identifying techniques.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Nice hock wine bottle, but not old enough to be pontiled. Probably 1906 to 1920 time period.

I did some research last night and found out that the deep recess in the base is called a "punt" and the bottle was formed by being blown into a "spin mold". The time span was generally about 1870 to 1920, with a note that it was not unusual for them to be made before 1870. Also, most bottles of this design were made in Germany and imported by American bottlers.
This particular bottle was found in an overgrown gully in Rocky Springs, MS before the townsite was made a park. I bought it from the man who found it. I believe his story because I've known him all of my life and am sure he wouldn't "stretch" the truth. ;D

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
love the research info shortstack!!!!

makes me wanna retrieve a bottle I left behind as it had all the features you mention and it was a gorgeous green:) I thought it was relatively new, but in the location it was found, well, I should've known bettah.
ack, I guess it wasn't suppose to be mine.

HH,
tori

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, vibes. Here's a picture you may or may not enjoy. It represents the green version of a hock wine bottle like mine. ;D

turnmold.jpg

I did most of my research at http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm
Oh, in my previous post, I called the mold used, a "spin mold". Well, it is also referred to as a "turn mold". :icon_study:

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
(grumble) Dang, it is just like the one that got away!

Oh well, I would attempt to retrieve it but I found it in a river, and I'm sure after the rain, it's long gone.

But hey, thanks for the search site, appreciate it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread