Green Ball and Claw bitters bottle

tracey

Jan 9, 2005
TN
I found one today at an estate sale and had to buy it because it was so unusual. It says Ball and Claw Bitters Worlds best Remedy. Indian Drug Specialty company. this is aboout 10 inches tall. I saw some on ebay, but they were small bottles, like 3 inches tall or so. Anyone know if its worth keeping? thanks!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it's a repro.,it's worth keeping and should have some type of value.Many are worth hundreds and some are worth a few thousand.They were made in many different shapes.Does its name(ball and claw)fit the shape of the bottle?Most all American bitters bottles date from 1862-1906.The "Revenue Act Tax "on liquor began in 1862,by 1906 the Food and Drug Act placed restrictions on the sale of "bitters".There are over a thousand known types of bitters and a colored bottle is worth more than a clear bottle of the same bitters.There is a book "For Bitters Only" by Carlyn Ring,you could refer to that.There is also a newsletter for collectors"The Bitters Report" p.o.box 1253,Bunnell,Fl.,32110.How about a pic.?

OP
OP
T

tracey

Jan 9, 2005
TN
here is a photo. i put a can next to it to show the size. thanks for the info!

Attachments

• greenbottle.jpg
    greenbottle.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,117

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Tracey,

nice bottle.

Understand, as dig said, there are reproductions on the market.

check the site I gave you, they will be able to tell.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
T

tracey

Jan 9, 2005
TN
looks like it may be a reproduction. but thats ok with me. if those tiny little donald duck orange juice bottles were worth anything, i would be rich! my parents property has gobs of those things in a big sink hole! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread