19 KB · Views: 806
  • ashton 046.jpg
    ashton 046.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 381

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
This is just a guess but maybe "Stiegel glass". Maybe from Zanesville glass works.

A great deal of Stiegel-type pattern-molded glass, such as the expanded swirled and vertical ribbing and diamond all-over designs, were made in the Midwestern glasshouses at Zanesville , Mantua, and Kent, Ohio, in the Nineteenth Century. Bottles, flasks, compotes, sugar bowls with covers, pitchers, and creamers with these pattern-molded designs, as well as pans and salts, were blown in amber, green, amethyst, and blue. However, while such colored Stiegel glass was flint glass, the Ohio glass is usually of a "soda-lime base. Sugar bowls and creamers with large diamond or oival designs in the Stiegel tradition were made at Zanesville n 'greens and sapphire blue.

The pattern-molded Stiegel-type glass is perhaps the most distinctive. Its beauty is that of line and form and pure color, and nothing is lovelier than some of the expanded-mold patterns in rich blue or amethyst. To appreciate pattern-molded glass one should know something of the process. Glass is pattern-molded by blowing the gather into a mold which has a design cut on its inner surface. After the gather has been impressed with the design, it is withdrawn and shaped by the free-blown technique.

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
tattooedmomma said:
wow. Thanks. Both are very expensive. How can I tell for sure?? Thanks!!

I was assuming you are from zanesville ohio and or knew that the bottle was made in zanesville. Maybe I assumed wrong?
With no marks Im not sure how you could know for sure.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
As Dwight says it's a modern repro/fantasy, decorator value only, not sure why it's been brought up 7 years later though... lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread