What to do with all the extra bottles

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey guys, just wondering what you all do with the miscellaneous bottles you find that are really not noteworthy as far as age/ value. Such as non embossed medicines, extracts etc. Do you try to sell them, toss em back in the pits, give them away???

The reason I ask, is that I just gave a boatload of them away to a neighbor. Just too darn many for the wife to stand anymore so I had to make some space. Let me know what you guys do with all the extras. Thanks jgas

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Right now ALL of my bottles are wraped up in newspaper, stacked in boxes and stuffed in the shed.

I have no room to display........

VPR

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
You could donate them to any organization that has 501(3)(c) tax status such as GoodWill which may be able to sell some of 'em in their shops.

Check to see the tax status of your area bottle club. You might be able to donate to that group, which may give away a free old bottle with every admission to their next show.

Anyway, if you pick the right organization, you can take a tax deduction for the donation -- value without actually selling them yourself.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for tips guys. Aprreciate it. Now onto more digging.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
jgas ~

I have several collecting friends who have placed all of their extras in a big pile in the back yard, and it really looks cool. And one guy I know puts them in an old rusty wheelbarrel for display. I like the wheelbarrel one best. Plus it's fun to watch some of them change to an amethyst color over the years. (But if you do something like this, be sure and remind the kids they are not for "target practice" with their BB guns). :tongue3:

SODABOTTLEBOB

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If you can't think of nothing else you might do what Hoss Blackmon did down in Aussie land one time. He was guiding a group of nuggethunters from
the States on some private land (as usual) and came upon a pile of discarded
bottles. Seeing a group of camp robbers in all the trees he stuck several dozen
on the bare branches.
Well the property owner showed up demanding to know what the intruders
were up to. Hoss gave her a strory and about then she noticed all the bottles
up in the trees. "Who put them bottles up there?" she inquired. Hoss removes
his helmet and begins rubbing his balding head. "Well?" she says. Looking up
Hoss points at the birds and says "Well Maam, we put them up there to give the
Jays something to look at."

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Speaking of bottle trees, the photo below is just a portion of "Elmer's Place," which is located on old Route 66 just south of Barstow California. Elmer is a cool dude and welcomes visitors. I'd say there is a good acre of this sort of display, and it is truly a sight to behold. Elmer's Place is just off of Highway 15 about 100 miles south of Las Vegas, Nevada. Check it out the next time you are in the area.

SBB

Attachments

• Elmer\'s Bottle Tree Barstow CA. (640x462).jpg
    Elmer\'s Bottle Tree Barstow CA. (640x462).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 265

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
And here's a photo of Mr. Elmer Long himself, and a little info on his amazing "Ranch." Also, the ranch is actually located near Helendale, Calif., on old Route 66 about 10 miles south of Barstow. The link below shows a map of the location.

SBB

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/8379

Elmer Long's Bottle Tree Ranch

When Elmer Long inherited his father's bottle collection, he didn't know what to do with it. He thought and thought, "What should I do with these hundreds of colorful old bottles?" And then one day he decided to make a bottle tree by welding "branches" onto an iron rod. And then he made another and another until a forest of bottle trees grew in his front yard, which sits on Route 66 in California's Mojave County.

Attachments

• Mr. Elmer Long.png
    Mr. Elmer Long.png
    23 KB · Views: 253

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
vibes ~

Great stuff! Instead of Dueling Banjos, we'll call this "Dueling Bottles." Lol :hello:

The photo below is of the "Bottle House" at Calico Ghost Town, which is in the same Barstow, California area as Elmer's Place. Only keep going east of Barstow on Highway 15, and watch for the signs. I forget exactly how many bottles are in the house, but it's in the hundreds. The link is to a variety of other bottle houses across the country.

SBB

http://www.agilitynut.com/h/otherbh.html

Attachments

• Calico Ghost Town Bottle House.jpg
    Calico Ghost Town Bottle House.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 246

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I'd love to build my own workshop out of bottles. maybe I'll start with some yard art sculpture thang!

This has been a fun exchange! :laughing7:

Here's my Bottle Tree

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 243
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Holy cow, that guy must have a million bottles. Thats alot of digging! :o Those are some great ideas though. Thanks for the input. :icon_thumleft: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread