FLORIDA STORE BOTTLES

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I have seen a fair number of these milk bottles in the past, but they are not so common these days. I think these date to the 1930s.

I don't know the history, but I surmise that this bottle was used by a milk producers combine. Did combines in other states use such a generic bottle?

milkfloridastore.jpg

Attachments

• milkfloridastore.jpg
    milkfloridastore.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 396

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this here-http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Florida-milk-bottle/m-207128/tm.htm

They were used in hospitals, asylums and schools. I think I have one somewhere. Sold a pile of them at the flea market. The government gave the bottler surplus milk that they purchased from dairys to keep them from going under. Kind of like they are doing now but we get nothing in return.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
diggummup said:
I found this here-http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Florida-milk-bottle/m-207128/tm.htm

They were used in hospitals, asylums and schools. I think I have one somewhere. Sold a pile of them at the flea market. The government gave the bottler surplus milk that they purchased from dairys to keep them from going under. Kind of like they are doing now but we get nothing in return.
This is a shining example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet!

"Store bottle" appears on bottles from all over the USA. It refers to the scheme in which the purchaser doesn't own the bottle, and can return it for the deposit made at the time of purchase from the store. They were sometimes used by regional dairy associations which provided generic bottles like the "Florida Store Bottle."

The USDA has been subsidizing dairy farmers for decades. What we get is cheap milk. (Indirectly, the milk is more expensive for those who pay more income tax.) That's the system devised by guys now long-deceased.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread