Diggin Daddy

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2009
Westmoreland County (Smithton, PA)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My house is an old farm house, found out where the old outhouse was, would like any advice on how to go about digging it up, my brother also owns an old farmhouse and know where the outhouse was located, I have access to a backhoe, but have got alot of gasps when I mention it so I'm guessing it would not be a good idea to use it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Use some shovels, don't use a spoon it would take forever and the backhoe can do alot of damage....Good luck and post some pic's....Jim

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hands on digging....backhoe too big....watch for gas lines and such...be careful and dig straight down for the good ones! Show us what ya get. :thumbsup: jgas

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
just wanted to add that there could an probly be more then one privy on your lot... You will need to buy or make a probe to locate the other privies.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
See if you can get the original property survey or better yet the sanborn map for your property, it may show privy locations....

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
gleaner1 said:
Excellent advice from all. sodatraveler, HOLY COW!, thanks for the excellent link to a probe source. My order is placed.

No problem gleaner1 :icon_thumleft:

In response to your original question: a shovel is good for starters, but it will break bottles - especially the smaller thin glass medicines :'(

When you get down deep enough to start seeing glass and bottles, you will find that a short probe is exactly what you need to gently dig those puppies out. The TPA36 is short enough for this purpose and I use it all the time :headbang:

Here's a picture of a few of my tools at our last dig - note these are all used for digging since we already know where the bottles are!

Attachments

• Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 185
OP
OP
D

Diggin Daddy

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2009
Westmoreland County (Smithton, PA)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great advice, sorry I did not respond earlier, alot of overtime :tongue3:. I am hoping to start soon. We have finally got a few straight days of rain so the digging may be alot easier. How far shoud I have dig until I start to see any type of finds, I would hate to give up because I do not know what I'm looking for.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
maybe3-4 feet depending on how close the people wanted the waste to get to the top before they filled it in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions