Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother sent me photos of this old bottle that my father had in one of his sheds. I remember my Dad talking about it, but I don't recall where he got it from. :icon_scratch:
Are there any bottle books that would list a value for it? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
It came with a stopper (pictured) and says, "Jacob Spahn - La Porte, Ind."
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I found the following info on Jacob Spahn:

JACOB SPAHN
The local soda water, mineral water and ginger ale business is in the hands of Jacob Spahn, who makes everything in the line mentioned and supplies the trade of LaPorte and all the neighboring towns. He is a master in his branch of business and his customers understand that his goods have quality and his dealings are fair. His factory is at 601 Washington street at the corner of Clay, in a building specially constructed for the purpose. Mr. Spohn is a native of Chicago, the year of his birth being 1867, and it was in the Chicago public schools that he carried on his studies. Twelve years ago he came to this city to engage with G. H. Wagner in the bottling business under the firm name of Spahn & Wagner. This firm bought out the old established business of Charles Labes. In 1896 the firm was dissolved. Mr. Spahn continuing the business alone as the purchaser of Wagner's interest, and the trade has shown a perceptible increase every year. Mr. Spahn keeps posted and avails himself of all modern improved methods in manufacture, so that his product is at all times equal to any in the market. He is an Odd Fellow, a Knight of Pythias and an Eagle and personally he is an agreeable and popular gentleman, a faithful friend and a valuable citizen.

”History of LaPorte County, Indiana, and its Townships, Towns and Cities”
Jasper Packard
published by S. E. Taylor & Co., LaPorte, IN 1876

Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• finds 004.JPG
    finds 004.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 326
  • finds 005.JPG
    finds 005.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 306

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice bottle, and you wonder if Jacob Spahn wrote his own biographical sketch for the publication mentioned! If so, he wasn't a very modest fellow.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
That isn't the stopper for this bottle, this bottle is an odd shaped Hutchinson bottle and had an internal stopper with rubber that you would push in to pour or drink and pull out to close....That stopper is for a perfume most likely....Jim

here is what I mean....

8-2.jpg

cole-25.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It's unlisted on the sodasandbeers.com website so it may have a decent value, I'd say between $15-30.... To an Indy collector maybe more since it's not listed yet.....Jim

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
Nice bottle, and you wonder if Jacob Spahn wrote his own biographical sketch for the publication mentioned! If so, he wasn't a very modest fellow.

Thnks HD. :icon_thumleft:

epackage said:
That isn't the stopper for this bottle, this bottle is an odd shaped Hutchinson bottle and had an internal stopper with rubber that you would push in to pour or drink and pull out to close....That stopper is for a perfume most likely....Jim

here is what I mean....

8-2.jpg

cole-25.jpg

Jim,
Thanks for that info. Very interesting method of opening & closing back then. ;D
Thank you,
MM

epackage said:
It's unlisted on the sodasandbeers.com website so it may have a decent value, I'd say between $15-30.... To an Indy collector maybe more since it's not listed yet.....Jim

Thanks Jim,
That will at least give me an idea. I may buy it from my brother. :icon_thumleft: ;D
-MM-

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
These bottles sat in specially made crates upside down, the bottom of the crates were 2-3" off of the ground, they did this so the stoppers didn't get pushed in by accident letting out the gas. Can you tell me the size, it almost looks like a quart...

I have about 350 bottles from Paterson NJ and there are around 100 in this style, there are more quart "Hutch" bottles from Paterson than any other city in the US....Jim

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a nice dated grouping of these bottles from a local bottler in my area, the first bottle is called a "Pony" type and then the hutch's begin.....

spreitzers.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
That does look like a quart. I'm not a hutch guy, is a quart sized hutch rare?, I've never seen one. I can say that the stopper shown is almost certainly from a Lea and Perrins sauce, which can be found in almost any TOC dump.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epackage said:
These bottles sat in specially made crates upside down, the bottom of the crates were 2-3" off of the ground, they did this so the stoppers didn't get pushed in by accident letting out the gas. Can you tell me the size, it almost looks like a quart...

I have about 350 bottles from Paterson NJ and there are around 100 in this style, there are more quart "Hutch" bottles from Paterson than any other city in the US....Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the additional info and amazing bottle pictures. Very impressive collection you have there. :icon_thumleft:
I e-mailed my brother this a.m. to get the measurements from the bottle. Stay tuned................
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
That does look like a quart. I'm not a hutch guy, is a quart sized hutch rare?, I've never seen one. I can say that the stopper shown is almost certainly from a Lea and Perrins sauce, which can be found in almost any TOC dump.

Thanks Gleaner.
What is a TOC dump? :icon_scratch:
-MM-

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:

Not rare but many less were made compared the pints....you might be right about the stopper, it seems to be the most widley seen of that style......Jim

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
ModernMiner said:
gleaner1 said:

Thanks Gleaner.
-MM-
Turn of the Century
Turn of the

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey Modern...Nice to see another post from ya. I have a guy here that I will talk to about that bottle. He has done some digging in Laporte and he may be able to get ya some more information. Its a long shot but I will ask him. It is a nice bottle. It is worth holding on to thats for sure. Stay warm my friend, the lake effect will be effecting my bones pretty soon here >:( jgas

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epackage said:
ModernMiner said:
gleaner1 said:

Thanks Gleaner.
-MM-
Turn of the Century
Turn of the

Ahhhh, that makes sense. ;D
Thanks,
MM

Harry Pristis said:
For comparison:

Thanks Harry. You guys are going to get me hooked on old bottles soon. :tongue3:
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
Hey Modern...Nice to see another post from ya. I have a guy here that I will talk to about that bottle. He has done some digging in Laporte and he may be able to get ya some more information. Its a long shot but I will ask him. It is a nice bottle. It is worth holding on to thats for sure. Stay warm my friend, the lake effect will be effecting my bones pretty soon here >:( jgas

Jgas,
Thanks for the help. I'm from LaPorte originally and still go back 4 or 5 times a year. It's home. ;D Just got back a few weeks ago as a matter of fact. Going back in December too. Hopefully the ground won't be frozen yet. :icon_scratch:
Where are you located? Has to be by Lake Michigan somewhere.
Thanks,
Doug

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
The sprawling metropolis of South Bend! Digger Heaven.....so to speak :tongue3: jgas

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
The sprawling metropolis of South Bend! Digger Heaven.....so to speak :tongue3: jgas

LMAO!!!
I hated seeing the speedway shut down there in South Bend. I have a lot of great memories of that place. I used to sell racing programs there for a friend of my Dad's back in the early 70's. I would make 25 cents for every one I sold. I thought I was making the big bucks then! :tongue3: :laughing9: Ya gotta love those demo derby's too. :icon_thumleft:

I have two or three old properties lined up back there. I'll stay in touch next time I come back to see if you want to join me. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K., I got the measurements of the bottle from my brother.
It is 9" tall and 3.5" wide at the base.
Does that make it a quart or pint? :dontknow:

Thanks,
MM

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
ModernMiner said:
O.K., I got the measurements of the bottle from my brother.
It is 9" tall and 3.5" wide at the base.
Does that make it a quart or pint? :dontknow:
Thanks,
MM
The larger bottle in my image is 9.38" X 3.38", so it seems you have the less-common large size bottle.
hutchlargeandsmall.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions