How to find trash dumps in old swept away ghost towns?

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Any suggestions on how to determine where the trash dump areas are in very old mining ghost towns? Some here in NM are literally swept clean, leaving (if lucky) only foundation marks, etc.

What is the best method some of you successful hunters have used to find old bottles, etc. in similar types of areas?

Thanks for your time and sorry if this is a duplicate post!

Scott

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hey Scott. Where in NM are you? I'm in Clovis myself, but I've never been to any ghost towns around here.

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi, I am in Albuquerque. Yeah, there are LOTS of ghost towns (per se) in New Mexico. Some obvious and some not obvious at all. Unfortunately, you are almost 4 hours from me. Would be cool to get together with someone to hunt. Been to Clovis several times. Hey, how do you like your XLT? I am considering the investment in a DFX E. Have you heard good things on these?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To find likely dig spots, look for slightly sunken in places. Old cellar holes, outhouses, and dump fills will sink over time due to some of the items in them rotting away. Look for gullies that appear to have had fill dumped in one end of them. Although I haven't hunted these places recently I use to find lots of bottles and jars when I came upon these sites while out hunting around old homesteads. Monty

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Scott, I'm a big fan of White's, whatever the model. It has the same preset programs as most of the other manufacturer's high end models, but there are so many other tuning options it'll spin your head. Plus, I've found that the ability to pinpoint and the target ID systems on the XLT are downright outstanding. It's light enough to swing for 6-7 hours straight, the battery life is magnificent, and the display is easy to read and decipher. I rarely use the display itself, but listen to the tones, which can get a little muddled in high-trash areas at times, but are still right on for the most part. Hey, if you know an area between the two towns, 2 hours isn't all that much of a drive. I haven't had a hunting partner in a year or more. Do you have a detector now?
I guess my problem is more actually locating the ghost towns. I've looked through several maps and thought I knew the location, but I've lived in NM for less than a year, and I really don't know the areas beyond Clovis very well.

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Scott, I'm a big fan of White's, whatever the model. It has the same preset programs as most of the other manufacturer's high end models, but there are so many other tuning options it'll spin your head. Plus, I've found that the ability to pinpoint and the target ID systems on the XLT are downright outstanding. It's light enough to swing for 6-7 hours straight, the battery life is magnificent, and the display is easy to read and decipher. I rarely use the display itself, but listen to the tones, which can get a little muddled in high-trash areas at times, but are still right on for the most part. Hey, if you know an area between the two towns, 2 hours isn't all that much of a drive. I haven't had a hunting partner in a year or more. Do you have a detector now?
I guess my problem is more actually locating the ghost towns. I've looked through several maps and thought I knew the location, but I've lived in NM for less than a year, and I really don't know the areas beyond Clovis very well.

Yeah, I have been trying to make the big choice. I like what I hear about the Explorer II also, so I have yet to make a decision. Cool comments on your XLT. I want to purchase a detector within a week or two. How is your depth sensitivity on the XLT and what coil did you put on yours, or is the stock coil? What is the deepest target you ever hit that was of true value? Do you like Civil War hunting? We have some places here in NM to search.

Two hours is no biggie to me. I would likely drive that anyway to reach my destinations. Ghost Towns are not a problem, Just have to check them out. I have a fairly complete list of them, so no problem there. New Mexico is pretty easy to learn. I have been all over without problems. Clovis is a very small, but nice town. Glad the local base is hanging in there so far.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
ScottNewMexico said:
Yeah, I have been trying to make the big choice. I like what I hear about the Explorer II also, so I have yet to make a decision. Cool comments on your XLT. I want to purchase a detector within a week or two. How is your depth sensitivity on the XLT and what coil did you put on yours, or is the stock coil? What is the deepest target you ever hit that was of true value? Do you like Civil War hunting? We have some places here in NM to search.

Two hours is no biggie to me. I would likely drive that anyway to reach my destinations. Ghost Towns are not a problem, Just have to check them out. I have a fairly complete list of them, so no problem there. New Mexico is pretty easy to learn. I have been all over without problems. Clovis is a very small, but nice town. Glad the local base is hanging in there so far.

The EXI and EXII are both great models with great trash discrimination. I've only used the EXI, and found it a bit heavy for my tastes, or maybe it was the balance on it, or something, but I did make some great finds. With my XLT, I've been hitting mostly trashy parks in Clovis and Portales, and I believe the max was been about 6 inches in a silver dime. I did, however, hit a silver quarter at 10 inches on the bank of a stream with very little trash, so the depth is definately there. The EXI and II have a pretty large learning curve to them and are a bit pricey, but they are pretty amazing machines nonetheless. But you really can't go wrong with a White's, no matter what the model. How do you find the landowners on the porperty that the ghost towns sit on and get their permission? seems that would be the hardest part. Oh, and as far as the base goes, there has been lots of talk about a Special Forces unit coming to move in from Florida with helicopters, F-14's and about 15,000 troops. No confirmation of anything yet, but we're keeping our fingers crossed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread