Well shut my mouth!!!

jackragusa

Greenie
Nov 13, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was set up in charlotte, nc. at an antique show a while back, and with the normal wares and such. My usual take for the four days ranges from 2 to 5 grand for the show ( average ). across the isle from me was an old man with a pile of banana boxes filled with old glass bottles. I made some short stupid comment about the Junk comming into the isle. well my partner shut me right up. "see those ol bottles there". "that ol man is going to do circles around us and that I wished i had just one of those boxes in my booth. Ok, I spent the whole four days watching that ol man selling is bottles. The last morning of the show, I walked over to him and asked very politely and with a hot cup of coffee for him in hand, and I asked him if he would give me a hint at what he did for the show. Now he saw that we did fantastic and sold out of all our furniture and replied very quietly. "Probably not as well as you two guys, but I hit my 8 grand for the show". Since then, we came across that ol timer a few times and actually became friends at the shows and I have learned much about old bottles and how to tell a good dug bottle from a ruined one.I have learned the difference between a 2 dollar bitters bottle and 1,200.00 hand blown medicine bottle. (though I never found one.). And I have learned a valuable lesson. I have gained a whole new respect for old glass bottles.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread