Had the privyledge to check this out today

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a friend of mine show me a privy on some of his land. He would like to save this and rebuild around it. It is planted in concrete so before we go and start attacking this project, we'd like to see a picture of one of these before it went into the ground. Is there some sort of flange on the bottom? Anyone have a guess on its age? Any preferred way to get it out of the concrete besides a sledgehammer?

Hope some of you diggers can help out. Looks like we may have a fun dig lined up in the near future!
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• privy5.JPG
    privy5.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 491
  • privy1.JPG
    privy1.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 482
  • privy2.JPG
    privy2.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 487
  • privy3.JPG
    privy3.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 492
  • privy4.JPG
    privy4.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 486
  • privy5.JPG
    privy5.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 487
  • privy1.JPG
    privy1.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 489
  • privy2.JPG
    privy2.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 487
  • privy3.JPG
    privy3.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 489
  • privy4.JPG
    privy4.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 491

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I know that they can be moved. I found one similar to that in an old homestead setting but it just didn't look to be in the right place. I probed around it with a 6 foot probe and found no reason to believe there was anything "down below". I did take note that there was cement surrounding it about a foot diameter. I would say before digging, try the probe first just to see if it will be worth it. Now I am not saying that you may not be able to reach any glass or overburden with the six footer, but you should be able to feel a discrepancy in the strata. Goodluck and let us know what ya find! :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice jgas. On the what is it thread some have suggested that the lid is from a boiler/furnace or a coal shoot. It looks like this may end up being a fun project.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
If the base is cast iron going into the cement, to salvage it might be difficult with out taking the cement with it. Using a hammer to break up the cement may break the cast iron.. You might have to take cement and all to get it out of there.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
They have various sized carbide saw discs these days that will cut throught just about everything. You might try that if you have electrical power nearby - or a generator. That way you can preserve it, as it would look totally cool displayed somewhere. And if this works, you can always use dynamite or hand grenades on whatever remains in the ground. By the way ... What makes this sound? Shissh Boom Baah. Answer: An exploding sheep!

Good luck. I wish I could join you on the digging up the bottles part. But if I did, I'd wait until after the "Boom" part! Lol :tongue3:

SBB

Calculatin Cal

Greenie
Jun 9, 2011
N. San Diego
Rent a concrete saw from home depot, (they are cheep to rent, and easy to use) and cut around the cast iron base leaving some concrete attached.
How thick is the concrete slab?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread