ED. THIELEPAPE BEER BOTTLE (HELP w. I.D., Research came up empty)

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.

I found this bottle in an area where I've been pulling a lot of mid 1800's to early 1900's coins, and when trying to do an internet search on it, I can't seem to find any bottles like this. I tried different antique bottle sites, but couldn't find this one.

It is embossed "ED. THIELEPAPE PREMIUM LAGER BEER CHICAGO" on the front, and "THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD" on the back, with a "2" on the bottom of it. It is an aqua bottle (that looks to have prism colors in the right light) and measures 9" tall and weighs in at 15.69 ozs

Since I am new to bottle collecting, I would appreciate any assistance I can get in the I.D/ Origin of this bottle. Maybe someone knows of a website that they can direct me to. Thanks Again for the help and Happy Diggin' :thumbsup:

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 217
  • size.jpg
    size.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 247
  • beerfr.jpg
    beerfr.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 228
  • beerback.jpg
    beerback.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 217
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 250

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Try this:
BARTIIOI.OMAY & UURUWECER BREWING COMPANY. This wiH'k. to be a comprehensive reflection of the trade, commerce and industries of Chicago, would be incomplete without mention of this house. The brewery was established in 1865, by J. L. Iloerber. In May, 1882, a stock company was formed and chartered under the above name, with a capital stock of $50,000. The company is now controlled by the following named officers: William Kiu-lil. president; Leonard Burgweger, vice-president and superintendent; Fdward F. A. Thielepape, secretary; and Phillippe Bartholomay, treasurer. The building occupied by the company is 140 x 175 feet in dimension, and three stories in height, giving them thirty-four thousand five hundred feet of floor surface. Underneath the build- ing are capacious cellars for storage purposes. The establishment is provided with every known appliance for manufacturing, not only the best grades of lager beer, but also malt. The company gives employment to over forty men, and in those branches requiring thorough knowledge of brewing none but the most skilled are en- gaged. The sales will reach thirty thousand barrels annually, the value of which is $160,000. The business of the company is in- creasing each year, necessitating large additions and improvements. The capital stock, as stated above, is $50,000, but the actual invest- ment is over $100,000. The trade, though chiefly a local one, reaches many neighboring cities.

This was pulled from the history of Chicago. Here where I dig in Indiana and find quite a few blob beers there were no less than 200 different bottles with different names embossed. The saloon owner, proprietor or just some enthusiastic entreprenuer would get a stock of bottles with his name on them and then go door to door and sell his beer. Usually filled with beer that was supplied from a larger maker in the area. Chicago is huge as you know and I am sure there are hundreds of these types of bottles. I usually find "Table Beer" from Chicago in the pits here in Indiana. Funny how the competition was so great back then that the bottles we find in pits were probably tossed there by the local competition. Getting rid of your competitors bottles was good business!
I hope this helps out with your particular Blob Beer. As far as rarity goes, who knows. It is an aqua bottle and a local collector may pay $50 to over a hundred bucks for it. This is where a lot of homework is involved. Goodluck and keep looking for bottles, it is addictive. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that link. Very helpful and informative.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Lookn4Seated ~

The following may also help regarding the date your bottle was made.

SBB

Rounded taper lip, circa: 1850-1920, Occurs on over 3,500 different beer bottles.
This type of lip is often called a "blob" top by collectors. It was first used on porter shaped bottles and later on various shapes of soda and mineral water bottles. Its rounded shape prevented chipping and provided the strength needed to mount various closures. It was by far the most common type of lip used on pre-crown beer bottles.

Lightning Closure, circ: 1875-1910,
Invented by: Charles De Quillfeldt,
American Patent: January 5, 1875, Number: 158,406,
American Patent Reissued: June 5, 1877, Reissue Number: 7,722,
This stopper revolutionized beer bottling and was an almost instant success for Karl Hutter who acquired the patent rights and popularized this stopper when it was reissued in 1877. In 1878, Henry Putnam also acquired and interest in this stopper and in 1882 adapted it for use on fruit jars. There were many imitators of this patent over the years, but they all worked on the same principle of leveraging a rubber disk into the lip of the bottle to make a seal.

Attachments

• Lightning Closure (150x150).jpg
    Lightning Closure (150x150).jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 241

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread