jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up a Double Eagle Flask with a Pontil Scar on the bottom.

It is about 7-8" tall. It is a light or glowing green/blue color. Both sides are identical with an eagle facing right with 3 vertical lines on its chest. It is holding 3 lines in its talons. Below that there is an oval shaped raised circle with nothing inside the oval (no lettering at all). The entire bottle seems almost crudely made with lots of air bubbles throughout with a few very large bubbles visible. The bottom has a pontil scar that can be seen and even felt with your finger. There is a slight lip at the top and the seem ends before the lip.

Unfortunately, the bad news: the spout/lip is cracked but not completely broken. It is cracked in a V pattern from the top of the lip to the seem of the spout back up to the top of the lip. A very small part of the crack is chipped at the top of the lip.

Is this a rare or common item? What is it worth if mint? What is mine worth in such condition?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2117sideb.jpg
    IMG_2117sideb.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2118sidea.jpg
    IMG_2118sidea.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2119pontil.jpg
    IMG_2119pontil.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2120broken.jpg
    IMG_2120broken.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 335
OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Does someone with access to the bottle guide have the GII number for this, please?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey Jersey, nice little find right there first of all. I am looking at the guide and it appears to be similar to the GII-90, although that would suggest a green pale color. The GII-91 is aquamarine/quart smooth base and common. Its hard to tell by the pics. They are hard to take pics of I know. Can you tell how many ribs are in the wings? Make sure the count is right on the breast as well. I am seeing maybe 5 and not the 3 as you say. Crudely made thats for sure and in mint/if this is the correct variety then I would say maybe $100 on a good day. Let me know about the other details on the bottle. :thumbsup:

Try this, look up a web site called BottleNut and see if you can down load the pdf file for the entire McKearin Wilson guide. Thats where I got mine from. Very informative stuff. Good luck. jgas

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely 3 in the breast and I count 4 in the wings (5 if you count the wing tip). I would say aquamarine is an a accurate description of the color of my bottle, almost like a "lit fish tank".

I looked up that guide you suggested and mine is a match for GII-95. Oh well... Not worth too much money but I still like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions