Bottle Stoppers in 1885
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    918 times

Bottle Stoppers in 1885

These are the patent drawings for new bottle stoppers in 1885, as published in 1886. It may be that some (or many) of these patents were not developed into functional closures in the bottling trade; but, some were.

I believe that none of these was as successful as the Hutchinson Stopper or the Crown Stopper, but bottles that accommodated some of the alternatives are readily found. In 1885, all of the lip-finishes that used an alternative stopper had to be hand-applied.

Who can share an image or two of some alternative-stoppered bottles in his collection?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottlestoppers1885partone.JPG 
Views:	1423 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	530954

Name:	bottlestoppers1885parttwo.JPG 
Views:	782 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	530955

Name:	bottlestoppers1885partthree.JPG 
Views:	1192 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	530956
    Sometimes I go about pitying myself, and all the time
    I am being carried on great winds across the sky.

------Chippewa saying, translated by Robert Bly

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Re: Bottle Stoppers in 1885

Harry ~

Are you looking for bottles to match some of the patents you already posted, or stoppers not yet shown? It's the "alternative" part that's confusing me.

Thanks,

SBB

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    918 times

Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB
    Harry ~

Are you looking for bottles to match some of the patents you already posted, or stoppers not yet shown? It's the "alternative" part that's confusing me.
    Thanks,
    SBB
    Bottles that used stoppers other than Hutchinson and Crown. For example, here are two Phoenix Bottling Works bottles (for beer, I believe) that used two different types of stopper. One is a basic blob-top with no evidence of special finish, but the other has what I've identified as a "Baltimore loop-seal" lip finish.

Name:	beerphoenixpair.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	531028

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Next question ...

Is it okay to use pictures from the internet, or are you looking for examples from personal collections? If internet pics are allowed, then I'm in. Otherwise I'm out because all of my personal stuff is 95% crown and 5% hutch.

Gracias'

SBB

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    918 times

Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB
    Next question ...

Is it okay to use pictures from the internet, or are you looking for examples from personal collections? If internet pics are allowed, then I'm in. Otherwise I'm out because all of my personal stuff is 95% crown and 5% hutch.

Gracias'

SBB
    Perhaps you can get the thread started with some judiciously-selected examples from the www.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Here's one you don't see every day. In fact, it's just rare enough that you will likely never see one ... except here, of course. The text and pictures below will explain it for the most part, but it appears to be the sort of thing you would need an operator's manual to figure out. If you ever see one of these in an antique shop, buy it! I doubt the dealer will even know what it is, and will likely describe it as a radiator cap or something like that. But we know better, don't we? And in case you are wondering about drinking from a bottle like this, that's why mugs were so popular back in the 1800s.

SBB

~ COIL SPRING STOPPER ~

The patent is #36,266 issued in 1862 to Albert Albertson. Albert Albertson, of New York, N.Y., created this unusual closing device that required an elongated bottle lip, designed to hold a metallic rod having a button attached to it's lower end. Secured to this button was a disk of rubber, and then attached to the metallic rod was a coil spring that provided upward pressure to make the seal. At least five examples of Albertsons bottles are known to exist. Some are base marked with; "Albertsons Stopper/Made By J. Mathews, New York/Patented Aug. 26, 1862." This stopper was to be marketed by John Mathews, another up and coming bottle supplier, destined to wield great influence over the bottling trade. Albertson's idea eventually evolved into the famous Mathews Gravitating Stopper.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Original Patent ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coil Spring Stopper Patent 001 (509x700).jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	531216  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Our Mr. Albert Albertson was a pretty inventive guy. Here's another one of his ingenious stopper patents from 1864 ...

Name:	Albert Albertson Stopper Patent Oct 11, 1864 (488x700).jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	531218  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

And then John Matthews Jr. (Mentioned in the first part of this evolution of stoppers) comes along with this 1867 patent. It is typically referred to as the "Gravitating Stopper." (With the "graviting/gravity" part being self explanatory, as it "fell" into the bottle when released). But I really dont't see a great deal of difference between this 1867 patent and Albertson's 1864 patent. Of course, these and numerous other patent stoppers to follow were all made obsolete with the introduction of the "Hutchinson" closure in 1879 ... and even that eventually fell to the wayside with the invention of the "King of all Closures" which was the crown cap invented by William Painter in 1892.

Name:	John Mattews Gravitating Stopper Patent Aug 13, 1867 (263x700).jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	531219  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Harry ~

I hope I didn't over do it. I based my postings on your recommendation to be ...

Judicious

ju·di·cious   /dʒuˈdɪʃəs/ Show Spelled
    [joo-dish-uhs] Show IPA

–adjective

1. using or showing judgment as to action or practical expediency; discreet, prudent,
    or politic: judicious use of one's money.

2. having, exercising, or characterized by good or discriminating judgment; wise, sensible, or well-advised: a judicious selection of documents.

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    918 times

Then there is the Codd stopper, patented in Britain in 1872 by Hiram Codd, and still in use today in some parts of the world. There are a few American Codd stopper bottles; but, there are many variations (early and late) of this stopper used in many countries around the world.

Gas pressure holds a marble againt a rubber washer in the lip.

Name:	sodaCoddstopper.jpg 
Views:	1811 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	52657

Name:	sodaCoddstopper.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	531242  

us
    Jim

Sep 2010
    Hewitt N.J.
    Whites Silver Eagle
    1836 times
    Paterson N.J. Bottles

This is a David Boyle with a Thomas Patent Closure, similar to a hutch with more squared off shoulders it only appears on 25 bottles and it had a o-ring style washer in the neck and a marble to seal against it. This is the info from the Sodas and Beers website.

Thomas or Thasmo Closure, circ: 1895-1905, Occurs on 25 bottles,
    Invented by: Frederic R. H. Thomas,
    American Patent: April 23, 1895, Number: 537,946,
    American Patent: December 10, 1895, Number: 551,102,
    This closure was another improvement to the glass ball stopper that sealed against a rubber disk in the lip of the bottle. The improvement was that the marble jammed in the shoulder of the bottle when the contents were poured out.

and this is the very common Putnam Closure.....Jim

PATERSON NJ BOTTLES WANTED!!!!

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    1006 times
    tectin crap

Nice one epackage. Never seen that type before. Bob that spring one, never seen that either. I have this one, Zett's, I posted not too long ago. Common but in uncommon condition. I never bothered to unscrew it, I assume there is a cork seal. I will do some more close up pics of it disassembled. I do not know anything about this type.

Name:	slim 086.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	52664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slim 087.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	52665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slim 085.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	531391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slim 086.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	531392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slim 087.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	531393  

Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Jim

Sep 2010
    Hewitt N.J.
    Whites Silver Eagle
    1836 times
    Paterson N.J. Bottles

Very interesting Gleaner, this is an unknown closure as of right now according the sodasandbeers.com website, you should send an e-mail with pic's to Tod who runs the site, I'm sure he would love to show pic's along with the bottle credited to you on the site.

I wonder if this might not be some sort of after market closure to keep the contents fresh Thanx for showing it...Jim
    PATERSON NJ BOTTLES WANTED!!!!

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Here's one that is (somewhat/sort of) similar to the one Gleaner posted. It is described as follows ...

There were scores of different types of closures patented and used on beverage bottles, though most, like James T. Walker's 1885 patent closure pictured below, it had minimal impact. The seven primary closures/stopper types were the Cork, Gravitating, Codd's, Hutchinson, Lighting-Type, Bottle Seal, and Crown. These seven likely accounting for about 95% of the closures used on beverage bottles during the time span between 1800 through the 1950s.

[ James T. Walker - 1885 ]

Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links