gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Never seen one, in pics or otherwise. Looks like a late slug plate, maybe 70's or 80's, looks aqua colored. I would be surprised if it was earlier. Must be some sort of local product, yet the portrait looks familiar, maybe a political figure or candidate. Looks like Grant of all people, or Teddy. Someone will respond that knows this piece, I am sure. Nice recovery. :icon_thumleft:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It's Grover Cleveland. It's a GI-123 in McKearin-Wilson. Should be an "A. C. CO." on the base. Unknown glasshouse.

Probably introduced for the 1884 presidential campaign. "Scarce."

Nice find!

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
This is pretty much what Harry said, but it may add just a pinch of seasoning to the soup. It's from Julian Harrison Toulouse's book, "Bottle Makers and Their Marks."

SBB

Attachments

• A. C. Co. (700x633).jpg
    A. C. Co. (700x633).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 246

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Harry Pristis said:
It's Grover Cleveland. It's a GI-123 in McKearin-Wilson. Should be an "A. C. CO." on the base. Unknown glasshouse.

Probably introduced for the 1884 presidential campaign. "Scarce."

Nice find!
I didn't know all the facts ,but I did know it was Grover Cleveland.. that has to be worth a pile of money..lol

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
As a side note it might help to point out that we all know how fickle auctions can be, especially e-bay. One day a certain item might sell for $130.00, and the very next day a similar item might go for $330.00. It all depends on who happens to participate at any given moment and how badly they want something. Thus, it makes it increasingly more difficult these days to establish true values. At least, that's my opinion, which at times is worth it's weight in gold, whereas other times it's not worth 2-cents. :tongue3:

SBB

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you about the bottle color. Though it looks to me that the creek found bottle is just dirty. I agree with gleaner1, I believe it is aqua colored also. I'm looking at the bottom near the base and I think I see aqua color. I could be wrong though, lord knows it wouldn't be the first time. :) Does anyone know if this bottle was even produced in other colors?
I also agree that auctions are unpredictable (especially on Ebay). I know this from first hand experience when I had to relist an item for a non paying buyer, it sold for more than double the second time around. When I found the one that sold recently, I thought it would have sold for more than that myself, being a crossover collectible and all.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
I hear you about the bottle color. Though it looks to me that the creek found bottle is just dirty. I agree with gleaner1, I believe it is aqua colored also. I'm looking at the bottom near the base and I think I see aqua color. I could be wrong though, lord knows it wouldn't be the first time. :) Does anyone know if this bottle was even produced in other colors?
I also agree that auctions are unpredictable (especially on Ebay). I know this from first hand experience when I had to relist an item for a non paying buyer, it sold for more than double the second time around. When I found the one that sold recently, I thought it would have sold for more than that myself, being a crossover collectible and all.
I too thought it was aqua but thought I should mention that if it was any other color then aqua price might sky rocket... also the one you posted Diggumup the face around nose an mouth looks very warn... that maybe why the price is so low...

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
The flask is listed in aquamarine/colorless. I agree that the Kinchafoonee Creek flask is just dirty. I'm not sure what grows on river glass like that -- probably an algae. A soak in a laundry bleach solution will clean it right up.

My own sense is that $130 is about right for such a flask. But, the next one on the market may bring more . . . or less.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is aqua blue(after being cleaned) and has the initials A.C.(G?) Co. on the bottom. The seam stops at the neck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread