What Was This Bottle Used For?

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
My brother recently asked me if I could help him figure out what this bottle was used for :dontknow:

We've both been using the www.sha.org website to expand our knowledge about bottle types - or more specifically what types of products go in what types of bottles!

Unfortunately, with every answer comes more questions, and this particular bottle type was nowhere to be found......

This particular bottle type is extremely common in turn of the century Hawaii dumps. I'll sometimes pull a half dozen or more from a single hole!

However, I haven't seen any in my California digs and perhaps it's not common here on the mainland? Anyway, it's a tall (~10") green turn-mold with an applied lip. The one pictured here has a circle and dot on the base, but the other one I found in the same hole has a blank base. Note: the ink is just there for size reference.

It looks kind of similar to some mineral water and beer bottles, but I'd love to have something more specific. Can you guys help?

Attachments

• Mystery Kachunk.JPG
    Mystery Kachunk.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Mystery Kachunk Base.JPG
    Mystery Kachunk Base.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 335

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
No proof positive answer here but I would say its a wine bottle. Looks similar to ones we find here in Indiana with the exception of the more blob type top. I would say 1880-90 region. I have a whole section of the green ones in my kitchen. Hard telling though for sure what yours was for. Sorry :( jgas

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
jgas said:
No proof positive answer here but I would say its a wine bottle.

Thanks jgas!

That provides another data point at least. I've suspected that this particular bottle didn't show up on the mainland much, but it's hard to be certain without more input. Up to now I just knew that www.sha.org didn't show a picture of one and that I hadn't dug up any behind my condo :icon_scratch:

Here's what I think I know:

1) The bottle is very common in Hawaii, but doesn't show up in mainland dumps.
2) The bottle dates from the mid-1890's to the early teens based on the (well dated) dumps I've been finding them in.
3) Whatever product was contained in these bottles was quite popular in Hawaii!
4) The applied top and somewaht crude turn-mold manufacture suggests an older date.

Based on this information, I think I can at least speculate that the following may be true:

1) The bottle was likely produced in Asia - likely either China or Japan. Their bottles were about 20 years behind the U.S. in manufacturing techniques.
2) The bottle probably contained some type of alcoholic beverage. My best guess is rice wine (aka sake).
3) These bottles would likely also show up in California dumps where there were significant Asian communities - like China Town in San Francisco.

I suppose I can also check some of my Hawaii sources, but most of the collectors there just toss these back in the hole. They'll probably think I'm crazy for even asking!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The general shape suggests a Liquor bottle... then you have that kick up at the bottom, makes you think wine bottle. Me thinks the latter. :thumbsup: Since there's no embossing of any kind, I would think it had a paper label originally too.

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
diggummup said:
The general shape suggests a Liquor bottle... then you have that kick up at the bottom, makes you think wine bottle.

The picture of the base is a bit deceptive. Now that you mention it, it does look just like a kick-up - but that's not what it is ???

It's really only indented about 1/8" from the flats around the edge. That round feature in the middle looks allot like the half-sphere feature inside a standard wine kick-up, but it is actually a raised circle embossed in the middle of the flat area. There is also a dot in the exact center that adds to the kick-up illusion.

I probably should have taken a picture of the other one without the circle and dot! Anyway, your guess is as good as any - kick-up or no kick-up.....Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gleaner1 said:
1870-1880 beer. Turn mold you say? It's a wine....
I don't know what system the Japanese used (I think they were quite westernized by the late 1800s). In western practice, beer would have been in 12 or 16 fluid ounces bottles, while wine would come in 24 ounce bottles commonly.

Sooo . . . what is the capacity of this bottle?

hawaiiandigger

Nov 2, 2009
Hey Dude Ricky from the bottle club found one of those with a partial label. You are correct in your assumption of why we find many in the islands. It was a Hawaiian bottle. I forgot what it was used for or from what company but I do know that it was from Hawaii. Wish I paid more attention when I saw it. It was several years ago.

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
hawaiiandigger said:
Hey Dude Ricky from the bottle club found one of those with a partial label. You are correct in your assumption of why we find many in the islands. It was a Hawaiian bottle. I forgot what it was used for or from what company but I do know that it was from Hawaii. Wish I paid more attention when I saw it. It was several years ago.

Mahalo Hawaiian Digger!!! :notworthy:

That makes perfect sense then that these don't show up on the mainland. I still think the Hawaiian company probably ordered the bottles from some Asian manufacturer based on the crudity (i.e. applied lip, etc.). Whatever they were, they were certainly popular! I've found more of these than any other bottle type!

Next time you see Ricky, please ask him if he knows what product was in them. I'm guessing beer, but wine or sake would also make sense......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread