sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Re: bottle people... I am not...

chukers said:
any one have any ideas on it? Age? Use?

That there is a whiskey flask!

Can't tell from the picture whether it's hand blown or machine made :dontknow:

If it's hand blown it'd be worth a few bucks, if it's machine made, not so much......

Check the seam line running up the side of the bottle

If it stops - and looks sort of rubbed out - before it hits the lip, it's hand blown

If it goes all the way to the top and there is another seam that goes around the neck just below the lip, it's machine made

It's a cool bottle and I'd keep it either way :notworthy:

Here's a larger machine made whiskey flask I found in my backyard for comparison purposes:

Attachments

• Flask.JPG
    Flask.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 816
  • Flask.JPG
    Flask.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 712
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

it does have the seem all the way to the top and around the neck... so its machine made... I was thinking it might be a whiskey bottle... i fits in the hand very well... maybe one made for the ladies... any idea on the age?

chukers

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

chukers said:
any idea on the age?
Assuming the bottle was made in the U.S. we can nail it down pretty well.

The Owen's Automatic Bottle Machine came into use around 1905, but I don't think they used it for these types of whiskey flasks until at least the mid-teens (1915ish?).

They started printing FEDRAL LAW FORBIDS THE SALE OR RESUSE OF THIS BOTTLE on whiskey (and other hard liquor) bottles in 1935 :read2:

I'm guessing that your bottle dates from the late teens to early 1920's mostly based on instinct, but it's most certainly between 1915 and 1935.

If there are any manufacturer's marks on the bottle we can nail it down better!

Look for any type of symbol, letters and/or numbers on the base or around the edge near the base......

Let me know if you find anything and we'll take it from there :icon_thumright:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

I don't think this little flask was necessarily used for spirits. There might have been a variety of uses, such as for liquid aspirin. We've all seen the little flasks embossed "St. Joseph's". Many other medicinal preparations may have been bottled in such a flask. We'll never know what it contained originally.

Now, these little flasks make me wonder about the original contents:

flaskpair.jpg

Attachments

• flaskpair.jpg
    flaskpair.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,112

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

Harry Pristis said:
I don't think this little flask was necessarily used for spirits.

True enough! The only way to be absolutely sure would be to find the exact same bottle with a label still attached.....

However, back in the day it was common for folks to carry a small flask of liquor in their pocket. We've all seen it in the movies, but I can't say that I know anyone who carries one around these days!

This flask sure looks like one of those, but we'll likely never know for certain :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

here is a picture of the bottom and the only marking on the bottle.

Attachments

• bottle bottom.JPG
    bottle bottom.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 668

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

Hmmm......the "F" could indicate Fairmount Glass Works. The wbesite I've been referring to for manufacturer's marks states that this mark was used from 1920 to 1933 which gibes well with my initial guess on the date.

You can see for yourself at this website: http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks2.html

The number "394" in the middle is probably a mold number.....

The number "7" on the opposite side from the "F" could indicate 1927.

However, keep in mind that these markings might mean none of the above and just be some incomprehensible code used by some other manufacturer to identify their bottles!

I was sort of hoping for something more diffinitive like an "IPG" in a triangle, or "O" in a square. Well, it is what it is, and you can at least tell people that you think it was a whiskey flask made by the Fairmount Glass Works in 1927...... :tongue3:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sodetraveler said:
Hmmm......the "F" could indicate Fairmount Glass Works. The wbesite I've been referring to for manufacturer's marks states that this mark was used from 1920 to 1933 which gibes well with my initial guess on the date.

You can see for yourself at this website: http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks2.html

The number "394" in the middle is probably a mold number.....

The number "7" on the opposite side from the "F" could indicate 1927.

However, keep in mind that these markings might mean none of the above and just be some incomprehensible code used by some other manufacturer to identify their bottles!

I was sort of hoping for something more diffinitive like an "IPG" in a triangle, or "O" in a square. Well, it is what it is, and you can at least tell people that you think it was a whiskey flask made by the Fairmount Glass Works in 1927...... :tongue3:

Cool... close enough for me! thanks for your help!

Chukers

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

chuckers this is just a guess I could be wrong but I think you are about a frog hair away from becoming a bottle people. Just my gut.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1 said:
chuckers this is just a guess I could be wrong but I think you are about a frog hair away from becoming a bottle people. Just my gut.

well I think they are as neat as any other treasure I find... I do have a small collection of them, but I don't actively search for them.

here is all the bottle I have collected while out hunting with my metal detector... this is over 20+ years of metal detecting.

see anything that catches your eyes? I know some are new bottles... like the brown one in the 3rd row... but its neat looking...

Attachments

• bottles.JPG
    bottles.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 789
  • bottle2.JPG
    bottle2.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 588
  • bottles2.JPG
    bottles2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 606

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

chukers said:
see anything that catches your eyes?

You've already highlighted some of the more interesting ones, but that small amber cork top in the first row looks the most interesting to me!

Could you post a better picture of it? A close-up of the lip and base would be good too........

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sodetraveler said:
chukers said:
see anything that catches your eyes?

You've already highlighted some of the more interesting ones, but that small amber cork top in the first row looks the most interesting to me!

Could you post a better picture of it? A close-up of the lip and base would be good too........

it has a #29 on the bottom and on the sides it says BALT** and SHARP**** The * means I can't read it

Chukers

Attachments

• bbotle.JPG
    bbotle.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 593
  • bbottle2.JPG
    bbottle2.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 619

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
chuckers it is impressive that you found all those while detecting. Nothing too great shown here, I must be honest with you. But, if you ever stumble across a good old bottle dump, I bet you wont be able to resist diggin it, which means you are officially a bottle hound. But remember, it is really difficult to find a good quality surface/shallow bottle dump nowadays. Really difficult. But not impossible, they lie just out of sight, hidden away, taunting our conscience.

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

chukers said:
it has a #29 on the bottom and on the sides it says BALT** and SHARP**** The * means I can't read it

That's by far my favorite of the lot!

It's hard to tell through all the dirt, but it looks to be hand blown and far older than anything else you've found :notworthy:

If you have some spare time on your hands, you should clean that bottle up a bit. You could use one of those green scrubbing pads and dish soap - or whatever's handy.

You should be able to clean the inside too without having to employ any fancy brushes or bent wires......

I'd be displaying that one myself - after cleaning! :icon_sunny:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The little brown guy is a Sharpe & Dohme pill bottle from Baltimore, they look neat and there are hundreds of thousands of them out there. The Ruth's soda is your best bottle...Jim

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epackage said:
The little brown guy is a Sharpe & Dohme pill bottle from Baltimore, they look neat and there are hundreds of thousands of them out there. The Ruth's soda is your best bottle...Jim

is it RUTH and in Babe Ruth? I notice it has baseball pennants on it... if so I'll agree with you... 100%

Chukers

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Not related to Babe Ruth, they just used the pennants to make it seem that way...

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epackage said:
Not related to Babe Ruth, they just used the pennants to make it seem that way...

awww wouldn't that of been nice!

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina

Harry Pristis said:
I don't think this little flask was necessarily used for spirits. There might have been a variety of uses, such as for liquid aspirin. We've all seen the little flasks embossed "St. Joseph's". Many other medicinal preparations may have been bottled in such a flask. We'll never know what it contained originally.

Now, these little flasks make me wonder about the original contents:

!BqGy27wCGk~$(KGrHqIH-DYEu(oIvDCPBLuUFtJwf!~~_3.jpg

Here ya go Harry. Snagged this pic awhile ago from somewhere's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread