Light purple flask type bottle

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admittedly don't know much about bottles but ran across this while metal detecting near some old trees. I like old bottles and have started a small collection. This is the first corked bottle I've found and thought it was interesting being it's light purple and marked Norfolk, Va since I'm in Va.Beach. I couldn't find anything on H.C. Williams & Co and the mold lines on it might indicate that its really not that old. Any thoughts on this one is appreciated.

005-2.jpg

002.jpg

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed that little tail on the G. No wonder I couldn't find it on google. Thanks for your post.

And I found the same exact bottle listed on ebay. Thanks again

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That explains the color. It looked as if it had been dug out of the ground but was laying on top exposed to the sun with a lot of dirt inside. Thanks for the link, it will be a good addition to my small collection.

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE!!! You should definitely head back to that area where you found it...There's probably more somewhere. Lets dig!!!

swanner44

Apr 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello...I ran across your post searching )Googling) the H.G. Williams & Company. Discovered a Federal Case involved H.G Williams & Co. And my grandmothers father (William Swanner, Beaufort County, NC). Roe Herring fish and wiskey case.
WH&C shipping pints of wiskey in barrels of fish to NC. In 1915. Illegal in those days!! So your bottle is aleast 100 years old😊. happy to send you a newspaper clip on the trial if your interested. Although shorty after being found quilts and ordered out of state..Mr Swanner took his own life. My grandmother was only 3.

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello...I ran across your post searching )Googling) the H.G. Williams & Company. Discovered a Federal Case involved H.G Williams & Co. And my grandmothers father (William Swanner, Beaufort County, NC). Roe Herring fish and wiskey case.
WH&C shipping pints of wiskey in barrels of fish to NC. In 1915. Illegal in those days!! So your bottle is aleast 100 years old. happy to send you a newspaper clip on the trial if your interested. Although shorty after being found quilts and ordered out of state..Mr Swanner took his own life. My grandmother was only 3.

Hahaha! Fast forward a few years, I'm moving and decided to look this bottle up.....which brought me to this thread. Great info Swanner. I would like to see it if you see this thread again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread