Some finds from a pit Ive been working...

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some finds from a pit I've been working...

First off I wanna shout out a big thanks to jgas whose posts were an inspiration to me. I had been metal detecting for about three years when last fall I was checking out these privy dig posts. I'm thinking "oh yeah! I'd love to find me something like that"
Well sure enough, I said it I did. I've spent the better part of this year digging dumps. And have amassed LOADS.
I wanted to post pics from this latest pit because it's been the most interesting to me. I was also kinda of curious as to what the stuff in the two long thin bottles might be (oil?, or maybe an old apple cider vinegar - you know that 'mother' at the bottom of a good quality one?). And tell me, the little white jar, should I re-detail the script on it or leave as is?
:icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• IMG_1908.JPG
    IMG_1908.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 653

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
Re: Some finds from a pit I've been working...

some where olive oil some toilet water or Florida water.fragrance water for baths. that case gin is real nice

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good looking bottles. I really like that case gin. Had to be thrill to dig that! :icon_thumleft:

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

Here's my best guess at ID:

The round bottoms lying on their sides are likely Ginger Ale bottles.

The thin glass, aqua ones with the flare at the base are probably Olive Oil bottles.

The square black glass bottle is most certainly a Case Gin.

The tall green one in the back is likely a wine bottle.

The one with the "lady leg" neck could be Scotch/Bourbon or some type of wine. I've seen one with Scotch in it and another with Sauterne Wine (with label and contents).

The brown pottery bottle is probably for Ink.

The remaining bottle that also looks to be black glass is likely a Beer or Ale bottle.

They all look to be from the mid-1890's, but could be 1880's or 1900's.

Again, that's just my best guess. I'll now defer to the experts to find out what these bottles were REALLY for! :notworthy:

PS. I wouldn't mess with the writing on the white jar!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

I agree with 'Sodetraveler' in his identifications . . . all except to the brown stoneware bottle. Master inks typically have small-diameter mouths and a crease or a spout for guiding the pour.

I think this one was used for stove blacking or for shoe blacking or for harness dressing. The wider mouth accommodated an applicator swab. The funnel mouth provided a surface to squeeze off excess dressing.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the replies :icon_thumleft:
Sodetraveller and Harry - it's pretty much what I was thinking - but I had thought the round bottoms were just soda and the stoneware was a master ink. It probably is gingerale 'cuz one of 'em was a cantrell & cochrane and it's good to know about the spout thing because I've got a few others that are the same.
I think it's neat the fact the two bottles still contain oil - think I can use it :P
As far as the dating goes, I figure the pit dates from about 1883 to 1894. The white jar is from here - http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/...brws_s=1&PHPSESSID=log3mrvqu5o23l0pbrqvlc1a31 - and they had moved locations in 1894.
bottles10 and GaRebel1861 - it's funny what catches peoples eyes eh? I don't really think too much of the case gins (maybe if I end up getting some really old ones), personally I liked the little chinoiserie piece I pulled out (I've got all the pieces (I think), to this other vase that stands about 16" high with a diameter of about 6", again blue and white chinoiserie -much nicer though)
Thanks again guys!

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

Harry Pristis said:
I agree with 'Sodetraveler' in his identifications . . . all except to the brown stoneware bottle. Master inks typically have small-diameter mouths and a crease or a spout for guiding the pour.

I think this one was used for stove blacking or for shoe blacking or for harness dressing. The wider mouth accommodated an applicator swab. The funnel mouth provided a surface to squeeze off excess dressing.

Cool, learned something new today! :hello2:

I have one of those "stove blackening" (or whatever) bottles myself - or perhaps more than one.......

I can certainly buy into an 1883 to 1894 date range as well

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Hey Mile-ender, thanks for the shout out :thumbsup:

Nice looking glass right there Buddy. I concur with all the aformentioned identifications. By far that Case Gin steals the show :)

Glad to see ya getting out and enjoying the dirt flying season as it is coming to a screeching halt fairly soon. >:( We went out today for a couple trash pits and scored only one blob beer, two inks and several crown beers. Nothing too crazy but we will try again tomorrow in hopes of stretching back a few more years. Nice finds all the way around, hope to see more soon from you! jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread