Some more Colorado bottles

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_2563.JPG
    100_2563.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 834
  • 100_2569.JPG
    100_2569.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 828
  • 100_2567.JPG
    100_2567.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 818
OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more

Attachments

• 100_2233.JPG
    100_2233.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 866
  • 100_2235.JPG
    100_2235.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 840
  • 100_2572.JPG
    100_2572.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 835

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason The Band keep popping into my head ;D
Excellent recoveries :icon_thumleft:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent dump. Great finds. The stratification of the dump layers is making me drool. I wish I were there. Totally AWESOME Western digs. :icon_thumleft:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Cripple Creek is just a cool name to be on a bottle! Nice digs. :thumbsup: jgas

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's way too cold and snowy to be viewing these, just adding to the cabin fever.
Killer bottles, just viewing the seam it came out of is getting me all goose pimply
Carl

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mile-ender said:
For some reason The Band keep popping into my head ;D
Excellent recoveries :icon_thumleft:
;D If I spring a leak , she mends me :headbang:

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies everyone :icon_thumright: This little dump is froze right now >:( CABIN FEVER HAS SET IN , " Wanted pretty lady who owns a dump,please send picture of dump !!! " ;D

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
PPC ~

There's not only "Gold in them thar hills," but also a bunch of good ol' bottles. And it looks like you found a couple of high grade "Mother Loads."

I am particularily interested in the old Cripple Creek soda bottles ... which I have tried to find some history on, but as yet have not found very much. If you are already familar with or have done your homework on the bottling works, perhaps you could share a little of that information with us. I would be personally interested in dates, and especially with transition periods from "Blob Top" to "Crown Top," which likely ocurred sometime between about 1895 and 1910. The earliest confirmed Crown Top I am aware of is 1895. Blob Tops typically date between the mid 1860s and the early 1880s when Hutchinsons became the norm. (But always with exceptions to so called rules).

Questions:

1. Are the Crown Tops blown in mold types or machine made? If unsure, one way to tell would be to check the mold seams ... Blown bottles = Seam stops at shoulder, whereas Machine bottles = Seam all the way to top of lip.

2. Are there any Makers Marks (Initials/Symbols/Numbers) on any of the soda bottles? If yes, what might they be?

Bacically what I'm curious about here is if it can be determined (by researching the Cripple Creek Bottling Works history, etc.) if one of your crown top soda bottles might date between about 1895 and 1900. Note: The Crown Closure was invented/patented in 1892 by William Painter of Balimore, Maryland. But the earliest known and confirmed example is dated 1895. If one of your Cripple Creek crown sodas can be confirmed to date prior to 1895, it will establish a new record for the history books.

Here are a couple of links I found on some Cripple Creek related soda bottles ...

Misc pictures link: Scroll to Cripple Creek soda bottles section.
http://www.mtgothictomes.com/colorado_bottles.htm

2002 auction link: Lot numbers 2534 thru 2542
http://www.holabirdamericana.com/americana2002/archive/Auction9/Auction9Co13.htm

Note: There is also a Cripple Creek Bottling Works Hutchinson bottle. Which is great because the brand has a good selection of various transition dates. Now all we need to do is determine the various dates ... which likely won't be easy to "confirm."

Thanks.

SBB

[ Murdock & Freeman Crown Top Soda ~ Portland, Maine ~ Earliest Known ~ 1895 ]

Attachments

• Murdoch & Freeman 1895 Mine (310x700).jpg
    Murdoch & Freeman 1895 Mine (310x700).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 997
  • Murdoch & Freeman 1895 Mine (310x700).jpg
    Murdoch & Freeman 1895 Mine (310x700).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 990
OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
PPC ~

There's not only "Gold in them thar hills," but also a bunch of good ol' bottles. And it looks like you found a couple of high grade "Mother Loads."

I am particularily interested in the old Cripple Creek soda bottles ... which I have tried to find some history on, but as yet have not found very much. If you are already familar with or have done your homework on the bottling works, perhaps you could share a little of that information with us. I would be personally interested in dates, and especially with transition periods from "Blob Top" to "Crown Top," which likely ocurred sometime between about 1895 and 1910. The earliest confirmed Crown Top I am aware of is 1895. Blob Tops typically date between the mid 1860s and the early 1880s when Hutchinsons became the norm. (But always with exceptions to so called rules).

Questions:

1. Are the Crown Tops blown in mold types or machine made? If unsure, one way to tell would be to check the mold seams ... Blown bottles = Seam stops at shoulder, whereas Machine bottles = Seam all the way to top of lip.

2. Are there any Makers Marks (Initials/Symbols/Numbers) on any of the soda bottles? If yes, what might they be?

Bacically what I'm curious about here is if it can be determined (by researching the Cripple Creek Bottling Works history, etc.) if one of your crown top soda bottles might date between about 1895 and 1900. Note: The Crown Closure was invented/patented in 1892 by William Painter of Balimore, Maryland. But the earliest known and confirmed example is dated 1895. If one of your Cripple Creek crown sodas can be confirmed to date prior to 1895, it will establish a new record for the history books.

Here are a couple of links I found on some Cripple Creek related soda bottles ...

Misc pictures link: Scroll to Cripple Creek soda bottles section.
http://www.mtgothictomes.com/colorado_bottles.htm

2002 auction link: Lot numbers 2534 thru 2542
http://www.holabirdamericana.com/americana2002/archive/Auction9/Auction9Co13.htm

Note: There is also a Cripple Creek Bottling Works Hutchinson bottle. Which is great because the brand has a good selection of various transition dates. Now all we need to do is determine the various dates ... which likely won't be easy to "confirm."

Thanks.

SBB

[ Murdock & Freeman Crown Top Soda ~ Portland, Maine ~ Earliest Known ~ 1895 ]
Ok Bob I should be able to answer your ??s #1 All crown caps from Cripple Creek are mold blown ,but 1,it is machine made & is embossed ,Vernon Piffier ,mfg,of ice cream and soda water.The one in my post dates 1906.there are 9 different(including varients)beer/soda bottles that have crown caps from Cripple creek.The earliest crown cap from CC was used in 1903.
#2 most were smooth base,3 had the owners initals on the base,and 3 had the trademark belt buckle of the western glass manufaucturing co (1901-1909) on the base.

The "blob tops' in my post are "Baltimore loop seals" and were used from 1895 to 1902 on CC bottles.
There are 11 Hutchinson sodas (including varients) from Cripple Creek.

So,there are no CC crown caps that date to 1895,but something you might be interested in ,is that this summer I found a couple of Applied top crown caps,unembossed & dark green.I will post a couple of pic,s If I didnt answer something,please ask again.Also we are able to date the bottles from the Colorado Bevarage bottle book,published by the bottle club.Please feel free to contact me if you need any help dating Colorado bottles. HH

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
HH/PPC

Thanks for the summary on Cripple Creek bottles. I had a feeling you knew your stuff, but I just wasn't sure. We will be looking forward to more pictures, etc. :icon_thumleft:

SBB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread