What Is This?

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
I dug this up this last weekend and can't figure out what it is :dontknow:

It's hand blown in a mold with a ground lip - nothing strange about that. The weird thing is that it is also open on the bottom side with another ground "lip"!

I'm not even sure I can call this a bottle because it's open on both ends. What is it? :help:

The second picture includes a standard Carter's cone ink for size referrence. This thing is quite small and is made from milk glass with quite a few bubbles in it. Please let me know if you have any ideas on what it is, where it's from or how old it is. Thanks! :notworthy:

Attachments

• What is This.JPG
    What is This.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Whats This.JPG
    Whats This.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 345

BrokenShards

Greenie
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sodetraveler said:
I dug this up this last weekend and can't figure out what it is :dontknow:

It's hand blown in a mold with a ground lip - nothing strange about that. The weird thing is that it is also open on the bottom side with another ground "lip"!

I'm not even sure I can call this a bottle because it's open on both ends. What is it? :help:

The second picture includes a standard Carter's cone ink for size referrence. This thing is quite small and is made from milk glass with quite a few bubbles in it. Please let me know if you have any ideas on what it is, where it's from or how old it is. Thanks! :notworthy:

If its open on both sides, maybe an oil lamp cover?

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
BrokenShards said:
If its open on both sides, maybe an oil lamp cover?

I was thinking something along those lines, but it's so small :icon_scratch:

Maybe some kind of candle cover - although even a small candle flame would be burning up the sides pretty good!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Privy finger lamp globe :-\ Not sure. jgas

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
jgas said:
Privy finger lamp globe :-\ Not sure. jgas

Privy-Finger-Lamp-Globe?!??

Now those are four words that I'd never have thought to see strung together :laughing7:

It sounds like a great guess to me - asuming there is such a thing :dontknow:

No worries though, I'm finding real bottles "On the Edge" now and so this little mystery item has been pushed back behind my new Waldorf whiskey flask and a really cool local chemist/pharmacy bottle I just dug up :headbang:

Should be able to post pictures of it on Monday......

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Harry Pristis said:
I think that 'lamp part' may be a good guess -- a decorative spacer. If it's a spacer, the inside diameter of the openings might be the same.

That would be too easy!

The "bottom" opening is quite a bit larger than the top opening (see pictures). Of course, not knowing what it is, I'm assuming the wide part is the bottom :dontknow:

The wider (bottom?) opening has a lip of sorts that could be used to secure it somehow to a larger assembly. It's kind of like the top edge of a crown top lip. The smaller opening is not so easily defined - or explained :help:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread