BlazinGTO

Greenie
May 13, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My family owns a house and barn from 1807 and I've tried a bit of metal detecting on the property. This spring I began to detect along a tree line that also is some of the original stone wall. Looking through the woods I noticed glass is just everywhere. Pottery and glass.

Yesterday I began to poke around and stated to find old blue tinted glass. Lots and lots of bottle tops. All broken stuff. Finally a whole bottle then another. Searching more today yielded some more unbroken bottles. Lots of the glass is purplish colored too. And few dark green wavy wine bottle tops.

Stuff has been found in 4 different places in about a 25 sq foot area. And I've only gotten down a foot maybe in a small area, only inches down in most areas. Its all over grown with roots on top of glass. I'm pretty excited about it, I've never been bottle digging.

Here's the first pic. Also my first post here. So I'll try the one pic and the rest will follow if it works.

Attachments

• bottles1.JPG
    bottles1.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 468
OP
OP
B

BlazinGTO

Greenie
May 13, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mostly broken stuff... was gonna toss it all after but my father wants to keep the stuff from the property...

the one with the pontil mark seems quite old...

Attachments

• largebottlebottom.JPG
    largebottlebottom.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 181
  • largebottleparts.JPG
    largebottleparts.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 186
  • oldest.JPG
    oldest.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 241
  • pontilmark.JPG
    pontilmark.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 156
  • sarsaparillabottom.JPG
    sarsaparillabottom.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 213
  • winetop.JPG
    winetop.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
B

BlazinGTO

Greenie
May 13, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the plain blue bottle in my hand was my first full bottle find.

the bottles on the sink were found late in the day and some a kinda cool. one still has metal and cork held onto the top with a hole down the center of the cork.

Attachments

• firstfind.JPG
    firstfind.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 167
  • cihoodco.JPG
    cihoodco.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 165
  • smallbottles.JPG
    smallbottles.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 181
  • nortoncoshard.JPG
    nortoncoshard.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 153

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Some great shards there, the pickle and the inks seem to hold up well which is why they remained whole. You have some really good potential for some great bottles, please keep the pic's and updates coming....Jim

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Very nice stuff right there. I would be probing all over that place for the pits! I sure hope you don't stop searching there, you surely have the potential for some great finds! Good luck. jgas

OP
OP
B

BlazinGTO

Greenie
May 13, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found some more

dug in the rain today and found lots of broken bottle tops including most of an Udolpho Wolfes Schiedam Aromatic Schnapps Bitters bottle.

but most of all i found a very nice unbroken blue "J & IEM" turtle inkwell http://www.glswrk-auction.com/WebPics-MORE1/contest08-10-8.jpg
and identified 2 items found previously
- my ointment container I found... as a 1860ish RUSSIA WAR OINTMENT container with contents.
-an inkwell as a ZULU BLACK WRITING INK J&IE MOORE

all the stuff found Ive dated back to mid 1800s, ive very excited for the coming summer months.

btw I'm in MA near the NH border.

any one have tips on draining and excavating an old stone well? worth it? its very old and hand made right under the original part of the house.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
In the very best scenario, and with a little luck, you may be on to a rather deep old dump with a center "heart" that is two or three or four feet deep or even deeper. Sometimes the dump site changed thru the years so they aint too deep, other times it was the same spot year after year, decade after decade, so you never know what you have until you dig it, all the way to the bottom and check it all out. Keep digging, the material you show looks decent. Try to find the deepest heart of the dump. Use saws, axes, shovels, limb loppers and buckets of elbow grease to get thru the roots, which are never really too deep, and rarely go thru the dump proper. On a good deep dump, you can easily undermine trees because roots hate dump material. If you keep finding dump deeper and deeper, you must keep going deeper and deeper, cut thru the roots and get to the very bottom of the dump. I wish I could join you this instant, I can dig my own grave in ten minutes with one arm and a broken shovel.

OP
OP
B

BlazinGTO

Greenie
May 13, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Score! More bottles found. Went maybe a foot or foot and a half down in a small area and didnt find anything. But I need to check deeper in more areas. Whole bottles found in 3 different areas. Found 5 bottles today all in a new area I have found. They were mostly just under the leaves and a few inches of dirt.

My finds today are 2 small sized bottles. One says "CURRIER'S HOMEOPATHIC PHARMACY" <-- any info on that one?
a larger dark green bottle with pontil break mark on the bottom. its also my first bottle with what looks like a rolled lip. the seams on the side go crudely inward as well.
my coolest find is a large "BURNETT'S COCOAINE" "BOSTON" hair remedy bottle.
also found half of a WELLINGTON Eagle Flask bottle. which apparently can be worth quite a bit.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on diggin !!!!

OP
OP
B

BlazinGTO

Greenie
May 13, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More Finds

Alright, as requested, here are a few more pics of stuff I have found on the property. This is just the best. I have two buckets of broken stuff too...

... here's a description of the bottles in the photos.

a broken Roger & Gallet perfume bottle, an A. L. Murdock LIQUID FOOD Boston USA & London 12.5 PER CENT LIQUID ALBUMEN bottle, a broken Willington Glass Co, CONN Liberty flask small size, a BURNETT'S COCAINE bottle, a very old olive green bottle, a tiny Currier's of Gurrier's HOMEOPATHIC PHARMACY bottle, various unbroken plain bottles, a plain umbrella inkwell in a darker blue/green, a Boyd's Mason Jar top... and

can anyone guess what the white unopened container is? there is only a hard to make out symbol on the bottom. the contents are very white but small areas of yellow where it separated at one time. Kind looks like paint to me.

not shown are a few shards of a GEO. W. MORSE & CO. Juniper Tar Cough Balsam bottle

Attachments

• whitestuff.JPG
    whitestuff.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 168
  • boydsmasontop.JPG
    boydsmasontop.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 184
  • cocoaine.JPG
    cocoaine.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 308
  • curriers2.JPG
    curriers2.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 175
  • curriers.JPG
    curriers.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 174
  • libertyflask.JPG
    libertyflask.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 195
  • liquidfood.JPG
    liquidfood.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 197
  • newestfinds.JPG
    newestfinds.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 177
  • rogergalletsperfume.JPG
    rogergalletsperfume.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 183

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice bottles.I'd dig that area out for a couple of feet.:leprechaun-hat:

OP
OP
B

BlazinGTO

Greenie
May 13, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the interest guys. I ended up getting kinda bad poison ivy from all the digging. It's going away now and I'm getting ready to do some more digging. Guess I need some gloves though...

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thanks for the interest guys. I ended up getting kinda bad poison ivy from all the digging. It's going away now and I'm getting ready to do some more digging. Guess I need some gloves though...

Get some gloves. Eventually, you will cut your hand if you don't. Damn! Sucks that eagle flask is broken. Those are nice ones!

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for poison ivy, I am very allergic, like go to the hospital allergic,

I dont know if this will work for you, but I use suntan lotion, and for whatever reason, it worked....

Not sure if the oils in the suntan lotion prevent the oils from getting to my skin, but damn it works...

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just what I do.. I take the old broken glass and make arrowheads out of them. Check out YouTube for some great how to vids. The old thick glass is great for it!

Attachments

• image-3873932013.jpg
    image-3873932013.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 240

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTO-I really hope you realize that you have all of us bottle diggers drooling on their keyboards.....so cool to find what you did and be able to dig to your hearts content! Dig slow and use care and soon you'll get to even more unbroken ones you can use to make us jealous : )

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
BlazinGTO said:
Alright, as requested, here are a few more pics of stuff I have found on the property. This is just the best. I have two buckets of broken stuff too...

... here's a description of the bottles in the photos.

a broken Roger & Gallet perfume bottle, an A. L. Murdock LIQUID FOOD Boston USA & London 12.5 PER CENT LIQUID ALBUMEN bottle, a broken Willington Glass Co, CONN Liberty flask small size, a BURNETT'S COCAINE bottle, a very old olive green bottle, a tiny Currier's of Gurrier's HOMEOPATHIC PHARMACY bottle, various unbroken plain bottles, a plain umbrella inkwell in a darker blue/green, a Boyd's Mason Jar top... and

can anyone guess what the white unopened container is? there is only a hard to make out symbol on the bottom. the contents are very white but small areas of yellow where it separated at one time. Kind looks like paint to me.

not shown are a few shards of a GEO. W. MORSE & CO. Juniper Tar Cough Balsam bottle

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread