Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
What's a good way to get dried on gunk out of old dug bottles? I've tried soap and water, windex, etc, and I have a bottle brush but it's not the best for getting at all the stuff....

I just dug a nice little assortment and will post some pics later on today.

bottlebrush.jpg
You can use just about any cleaning product (except Whink) to clean a bottle. Hydrochloric (muriatic) acid will not harm the glass. LimeAway is commonly used if you have limey deposits or iron deposits. If the glass is "sick," that is, decomposing, no cleaning product will remove the sickness.
What I have found generally useful is laundry bleach.
I fill a bottle with tepid tap-water to which I add a tiny amount of laundry detergent (because it is non-sudsing) and a dollup of laundry bleach. I let it soak for a few hours.
Whatever residue is left I remove with a home-made brush. I use a stiff wire coat-hanger for this purpose. I cut the hook portion away. I bend the smallest possible loop on one end of the wine and a large loop on the other. The larger loop will be the handle.
I cut a lengthwise strip of scrubbing pad (a Scotch-Brite knockoff from the dollar store) wide enough to generously cover the small loop. I roll the strip of scrubbing pad around the small loop and secure it tightly with several wraps of thin copper wire. String or a rubber band could be substituted for the copper wire. The copper is too soft to scratch the glass, but is relatively impervious to chemicals.
If you wish to use a commercial bottle brush, try this. I affix a small patch (about the size of the brush diameter) of scrubbing pad to the tip of the brush using polyurethane cement (Plumbers Goop, Shoe Goop, etc.). This patch not only makes the brush more effective in corners and at the bottom of the bottle, it also cushions the tip of the wire brush from any "hammer effect" in manipulating the brush inside the bottle.

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Put a handful of BB's (yes, the projectile for air guns), a little bit of water and a touch of dish soap. Shake vigorously. Think of a rock tumbler in reverse.

Works like a charm!

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
CLR is a good product to use. Removes calciem lime and rust mix with warm water. ware rubber cloves. will burn hands if to strong. Let bottles soak over night

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I use sand and a little water just enough to cover sand and shake until clean.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I learned many yrs ago to clean coffee pots with lemon juice & salt. swirl it around in the bottle & it should help, but the best thing I've found is the tablets used to clean dentures. it works great.

jkinney720

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2012
new york
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for rust and calcium use undiluted works toilet bowl cleaner. use glove and scrub bottles with brush to remove lime and calcium the rust will wipe right off. for sick bottles use a prolonged soak in 3n1 oil and scrup with the rough side of a sponge.

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put a handful of BB's (yes, the projectile for air guns), a little bit of water and a touch of dish soap. Shake vigorously. Think of a rock tumbler in reverse.

Works like a charm!

i do the same thing, and it works great!!! i never thought of making a bottle brush though... off to the dollar store! :tongue3:

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand, water, + cleaner of your choice

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
White Vinegar straight. Fill the bottle up 3/4. Pick up some small metal bb's or cleaned pebbles and shake them inside. Use a bottle brush. Then rinse with soap and water, then straight water, and sit upside down to make sure all the condensation goes out

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was going to recommend a few things, Ken but everyone here has those covered plus some-thanks for the tips everyone (now it's time to go dig the bottles in my basement and clean them...... : )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread