FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello experts!
A friend of mine found this bottle on the beach when he was young. I know it can't be too old due to the seam running all the way up, but I was wondering if anyone would like to guess at its approximate age and what it may have held as well? Also- dumb question, is there any way to tell if it came from a wreck, and not just dumped on the beach? (found on the NC Outer Banks) Thank you! (There are many tiny bubbles all throughout the bottle, and there is also a seam running all the way around under the lip, as well as a diamond shaped stamp on the bottom of the bottle)
-T

DSCN0890.JPG DSCN0892.JPG DSCN0893.JPG DSCN0896.JPG

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Early 1900's maybe mold blown but can't tell from the pictures. The bottom circle is crude and the cruder they are, the older they are. Post 1904 - Pre 1920s

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
The bottle looks to be early machine made.
1930's ish. probably contained some kind of
oil. That's my take only, probably to be corrected
shortly.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Like the others said, most likely an "oil" bottle of some type or possibly a "capers" bottle. If the makers mark is an I inside of a diamond, then it was most likely made by ...

I within a diamond ... Illinois Glass Company, Alton, Illinois (1873-1929). This mark was used from around 1915 to 1929. ABM (Automatic bottle machine) production was begun at Illinois Glass in 1910, and although I had presumed that the “I in a diamond” trademark was first used around that time, the U.S.Patent & Trademark Office data indicates Illinois Glass claimed use of this trademark was not begun until 1915. As far as I know, this mark is seen only on machine-made bottles which exhibit the typical Owens machine suction scars on the base. On very small bottles, the “I” may look like a dot inside the diamond, or be virtually illegible.

Sodabottlebob

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow. Thank you all for the great help and comments. And kudos to Bob! That's alotta info, enjoyed it all! Thanks guys! HH
-T :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And yes, I think it is an "I" in the diamond. Not likely attributable to any wreck, but imma look up shipwrecks from the area 1915-1929 for fun anyway. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread