Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr. Dettweiler's Sputum Flask

Don't leave home without it. That could have been the popular catch phrase for this item back in the day. Pocket spittoon's or flask's were used by those with "consumption" or TB as it's known today. They were used to help aid in stopping the spread of the disease. This one is embossed Dr. Dettweiler, he first produced these in 1889. I found this at a local estate sale last weekend. Thought it was a cool and unusual piece. I don't think the caps are original but that's okay. It looks as if someone filled the holes in salt shaker caps and repurposed them for this item?

DSC02644.jpg DSC02645.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surf- No it doesn't have the funnel top. The embossing is "Dr. Dettweiler's". Come to find out, they did make them without the funnel spout, it is shown on the "page snaps" in the link that epackage provided. (Thanks e! :thumbsup:) It looks like mine maybe a miniature economy version similar to the "economy model no.1 shown in fig.10. The caps still may not be original though, hard to tell. They've been on there a while though. It's definitely an unusual piece of cobalt that you don't see everyday. I would love to be able to find somewhere to actually dig for bottles down here but I think it's near impossible. Until then i'll have to keep scouring the garage/estate sales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread