Bass Assassin 3

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The beach were I walk has about a seven mile stretch from point to impassible mud flats that are bisected by a small but swift river. I have walked this beach for 50 years and know each stretch of it intimately. I know where to find the Japanese floats, where to find agates, where to find artifacts, where the elk come down from the hills etc. But I also know where to find bottles. There are several places to look for the ones floated in by the currents that get hung up by the shape of a small cove or get stuck behind snags. These days a lot of the bottles from Japan etc. are plastic…oh well progress I guess. In the old days it was a bottle hunters paradise.

There is this one place however, where I find the old patent medicine bottles. They all seem to be from about 1880 to about 1920. I can’t tell you how many broken ones I find too. I always save the broken pieces with writing on them and try to figure out what they were. Some of the broken ones include Dr. Shoops, Lydia Pinkham, Dr. Kilmer etc. Now I am not 100% sure why I find the old bottles in a certain spot but I can see evidence of activity on this site and think that some sort of structure may have been built here back when the beach was not quite so eroded and today’s beach was dry land.

…be that as it may…about 2 weeks after I found the Dr. Jayne’s bottle I was back beach combing and as I approached my spot I thought to myself…”wouldn’t it be a kick if I found another old bottle today”…Well I am sure you can guess what happened since this is a bottle forum and all…there lying in the sand just above (maybe 10 feet away) my spot was this puppy. I had found a couple of broken ones before but this one was perfect. "Ponds Extract".

Attachments

• DSC03330.JPG
    DSC03330.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 115

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the "spot" that jeeps on giving....and the plot thickens.... If the story ended here, it would be a very good one. I think unclemac has more in store for us.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I meant keeps on giving

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011