I wish...

AN1896-1908-M68-med.jpg
Ashmolean Museum: British Archaeology Collections - Wine Bottles and Seals

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would pleasant to the eyes. I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.. I would like to see someone post one of those bottles that was found by them. I think some time last year ir the year befire there

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, didn't finish my thread. As i was saying in the recent past there was some excavation work being done in Virginia( the name of the fort escapes me at the moment) and all kinds of relics were found and i want to say there were some bottles found. This was one of the original settlements on the east coast.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamestown i do believe.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ba,

The Jamestown archeology crew found an amazingly intact wine cellar in 2004.

jmaywine.gif
Wine Cellar -- Jamestown Rediscovery

Newspaper article: Rome News-Tribune 'Centuries-Old Wine Bottles...'

If you wanna get immersed in Jamestown discoveries, for about a week, you can read back on the Historic Jamestown site: The Dig: February 2013--Historic Jamestowne

wine_bottles_02.jpg
The Dig: August 2004--Historic Jamestowne

The website is actually extremely well done, one of the few taxpayer funded sites that is informative and educational, IMO. They've made some amazing discoveries recently in a well.

This slate really captured me:

jamestown+slate.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, i have not seen that nor have i heard about the cellar. I will definitely read that link. There was a special on tv not too long ago and some archies' were doing excavations at Jamestown. I could watch that stuff all day! Thanks for the update

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here's one I recovered:

suwanneeonion.jpg
I have posted below the pic of a bottle I found years ago on the bank (private property) of the Suwannee River on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The bottle is an English onion from about 1700 (+/- 10 years).

At that time, the only European settlement in peninsular Florida was Spanish St. Augustine on the Atlantic Coast. At the same time, English soldiers and slavers from the Carolina colonies were wiping out the Spanish missions to the Indians in the interior of the state. By 1710, the aboriginal Indians in North Florida had either moved westward out of Florida or were living in the immediate area of St. Augustine.

So, was my onion bottle brought to this remote area on the Gulf Coast of Florida by English soldiers and slavers? Maybe. This river does reach the area of the Spanish missions, and rivers were the routes of access to the interior.

But wait. At this same time, William Teach, the famous English pirate known as "Blackbeard" is reputed to have sheltered in the river. My onion bottle was found not far from the place where local lore holds that Blackbeard buried some treasure! The latest effort to locate that treasure toke place in 2012!

Wooden vessels were sailed up freshwater rivers in order to careen them. The sailors would tie ropes to trees on the bank and use winches to tip the ship. Once the hull was exposed, the sailors would scrape away the marine growth. Then they reversed the ship to clean the other side of the hull.

A clean hull meant less drag in the water. Less drag meant greater speed. Speed could be crucial if you were a pirate. Blackbeard was slain in 1718 in a fight with a British warship off the coast of Virginia.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surf. , thanks for sharing those pictures and link. ..Harry, what was going through your mind when you found that bottle? That had to be an exciting moment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread