Bass Assassin 12

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some of my favorite things to find are these old glass stoppers. I don’t find very many of them but it does jazz me up when I do. There is no rhyme nor reason to where I find them either. I have found them all along the 7 mile stretch of beach. They just seem to pop up from time to time. I used to think that all the stuff I find is buried and them uncovered and then buried and uncovered until someone comes by to spot an object and pick it up. Now this must be true to some extent but on the other hand I like to think that the beach is constantly replenished by stuff being washed up from out in the bay or coming into the bay from the sea. Not just stuff that obviously floats mind you, but all kinds of things. I got this notion in my head one day when I contacted the local university museum to help identify an agate fossil…real nice one with bits of shell still on it. Well the curator of the department (real helpful woman, made a lot of I.D.’s for me) told me what it was (a nautiloid, 25 to 35 million years old) but also told me that they originate in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains, wash down the rivers to the sea and wash up on the beaches. …So if these things are constantly replenished…then why can’t other things be too? You people on the “Treasure coast” know what I’m talking about….

But back to these stoppers, I really like them but am not sure what products they came from, except for the one that says “Lea and Perrin’s”. Ma says they were on everything back in the day, but then again she was born before women had the right to vote in this country. My favorite is the purple one I found still stuck in the green bottle neck. It still has a bit of its cork attached to it. I never expected to find such a thing on the beach.

Attachments

• DSC03468.JPG
    DSC03468.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC03469.JPG
    DSC03469.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC03323.JPG
    DSC03323.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC01413.JPG
    DSC01413.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 122

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooooh...... "Bass" assassin.....

lol...

I need to go to bed.....

I have only kept ONE of those... a reddish orangy kind of one.... And sadly it's broked. :(

EDIT: I never really knew much about it. I have SEEN the clear ones, and kind of knew what they WERE, but I never knew that they had cork wrapped round the post...interesting.

stpr 001.jpg stpr 002.jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unclemac, i have not seen one in person. I didn't know some had cork attached as well. Did you get all these from the beach? Very nice assortment. I had an old friend( recently passed away) that found a bottle with the stopper attached while we were metal detecting. A dark green, very nice bottle with no chips. Not sure what became of it after he passed away. Like you, i believe some things are being replenished by the ocean/waves bringing them in.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
....yes, these are all from my beach. the cork makes a lot of sense when you think about it. glass on glass doesn't seal anything.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Critical recovery: not sure if you were making a joke or what. maybe i didn't get it.

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot came from whisky flasks,peper sauce,bottleed food,well up into the 1920s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread