Hey tinpan! Bass Assassin 15

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When “good luck boy” was ten I took him to Australia for a month one summer. We stayed with some friends in Sydney and had a blast. In those days (pre 9-11) you could show up at the airport and book a “mystery flight”. These were 99$ same day roundtrip flights to anywhere the airline had empty seats. The thing was you didn’t know where you were going until they figured out what needed to be filled. One time we ended up in Melbourne, another time in Perth.

Well this was fun but the point for us to exploring Australia was to see more than the cities. We wanted to see the outback. Don’t get me wrong, the cities are fantastic, they remind me of America in the 1960’s and 70’s…everything is closed by 6:00 and nothing is open on Sunday…but all the same, cities are cities. So “good luck boy” and I hopped a train, colorfully called the “Ghan” and headed west. When we got to a town called Broken Hill, we got off and found us a place to stay. Now this town has a population of less than 20,000 but even so is one of the larger outback towns, it seems all the people in Australia live on the coasts. Well anyway, there we were just poking around when we had an idea…why not get a taxi, drive 10 kilometers out of town, get out and walk back?

The landscape looks very similar to parts of Nevada or the great basin, desert, low scrub brush, small rolling hills, dry washes and sparse trees. The wildlife surprised the hell out of me, emus, wallabies, kangaroos all over the place and flocks, FLOCKS of sulfur crested cockatoos feeding on these watermelon looking things growing on the ground.

Well anyway we took the taxi 10 K out of town, found a hill, got our bearings on the town, and started to walk in a straight line back. Along the way we picked up whatever “stuff” we happened across. All above ground, (including, by accident a “redback spider” when my son collected a kangaroo skull) (very dangerous, like a black widow only worse). Here are a few things, including artifacts, which I understand I shouldn’t have taken, but oh well. Seriously folks, for us the outback was like one gigantic beach to comb. We didn’t “look” for anything, we just walked in a straight line back to town. “good luck boy” even found these opal “crumbs” just lying on the ground when we went to a place called “White Cliffs”. Australia RULES!!!!

Attachments

• DSC04026.JPG
    DSC04026.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC04023.JPG
    DSC04023.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04024.JPG
    DSC04024.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04022.JPG
    DSC04022.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC04018.JPG
    DSC04018.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 83

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a fantastic story unclemac. Your children were fortunate that you took the time to go on these expeditions with them and show them some of the world. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well thanks, B.A. My philosophy on life has always been "go see for yourself". You couldn't drag me to a place like Disneyland with the promise of naked girls tossing hundred dollar bills. And we live in the best country in the world for exploration right outside your front door... (having family in Canada makes it twice as much to wander). I took a friend to the beach recently, his three boys were picking up shells and rocks and treasure, getting soaking wet and having fun like a black lab chasing a stick into the surf....he was checking basketball scores on his I-phone, tiptoeing around tide pools so he wouldn't ruin his Nikes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread