surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Target,

Welcome to TNet & thanks for showing us your find. It dates between 1887 & 1905, or thereabouts. Indianapolis Brewing was the consortium of brewing companies that swallowed up all the smaller brewing companies in Indianapolis.

"The three brewing companies above formed the basis of the Indianapolis Brewing Company started by an "English syndicate" in 1887. Each brewery continued to operate from their own plants until at least 1889.
Peter Lieber was the president of the new company for it's first year, retiring in 1888 due to ill health. Albert Lieber, Peter Lieber's son was the first managing director and took over as president. They both were Republicans but changed allegiance because of a temperance plank in the party's platform. Peter became very involved in Democratic politics and was the messenger who took Indiana's electoral votes to Congress one year. Peter was appointed Counsel to Duesseldorf in 1893 by President Grover Cleveland.

They won a gold medal for their Duesseldorfer at the Paris Exposition of 1900. There was a "magnificent industrial parade" when they returned with the medal. They also won the grand prize gold at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904 and a gold medal at Liege, Belgium in 1906.

Albert Lieber was President of the Indiana State Brewers' Association in about 1918.

"Indianapolis is the Home of Gold Medal Beer Lieber's Special Bottled and Porter

The Great Plants of the Indianapolis Brewing Company, R Schmidt Branch, and P. Lieber have long been first among the show places of business enterprise of this and every year to thousands of visitors from far and as admirable examples of order and perfect sanitary conditions in the manufacture of malt. The up-to-date equipment of all that constitutes a modern brewery makes this company rank among the largest and best in the world.

The output is not only known over the United States but the bottled goods are exported to the West Indies and South America. It is entirely within the truth to say that no product sent out of our city carries the name of Indianapolis to as many people of this earth as do the labels placed upon products of this company.

Thirty million labels are annually used in the bottling department. The company has approximately 500 employees here. 210 head of horses and 9 automobiles are required in the work. Besides brewers there are employed wagon electrical steamfitters and machinists. Brewers in this country and at every international exhibition of importance..." Indiana Brewing History - Indianapolis

I'd like to see some mo'betta photos, in natural light, that might highlight that slug plate.

Hist-Indianapolis1-Bottle1.jpg

OP
OP
Target1972

Target1972

Mar 27, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the history lesson, this bottle represents two of my favorite things..,good beer and historical artifacts. I assume the slug plate is the logo? Please forgive me as this is new to me. The mother of pearl finish really intrigues me. I will work on getting some better pics this weekend. Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread