surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey fishstick,

It's a Chinese brownware soy sauce jug. It looks old. This form has been use for a long, long time. I'd like to see additional photos in natural light, including the base, if you'd like to do it.

100_1241.JPG
brownware

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go SURF. It was found at the canal dump site and it's been in the state curator's hand's(which he fell in luv with). I wish I had a dollar for everyone's hands it's been in(collector's,buyer's and seller's) and NONE had a clue what it was. Jug's have some type of handle whether it be lip's or holder's. I've came to think it was a oil lamp because of the small remnant of something under the lip and I put water in it and it would come out the top before the spout. That is a darn close photo of it that's for sure. If you look close you can see finger mark's in the makin of it. IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0901.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey fishstick,

Maybe I shouldn't have called it a "jug." How do you like soy sauce pot? Many of these have been found in localities that have had historic Chinese populations. Technically, I suppose, one should call it a "brownware spouted jar," though I'm not an archy. Scroll down to the bottom for illustration >>> http://www.scahome.org/publications/proceedings/Proceedings.11Yang.pdf

H4546.2 | OMCA COLLECTIONS

I'd be questioning the expertise of said curator, though I sure can see why he would admire it.

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fishstick,

Maybe I shouldn't have called it a "jug." How do you like soy sauce pot? Many of these have been found in localities that have had historic Chinese populations. Technically, I suppose, one should call it a "brownware spouted jar," though I'm not an archy. Scroll down to the bottom for illustration >>> http://www.scahome.org/publications/proceedings/Proceedings.11Yang.pdf

H4546.2 | OMCA COLLECTIONS

I'd be questioning the expertise of said curator, though I sure can see why he would admire it.

That is some STELLAR info there SURF!!!!! I'm guessin a lack of chinese population knowledge for the curator. LOL... I know alot of the fill for the canal is 1880's and 90's, so I would think atleast that old. Just curious, what kind of value would you place on it? I've been offered alot but always said no until somebody could def tell me what it was..

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey fish stick,

I honestly don't know on the value front. I don't remember seeing an antique one for sale, nor have I looked for prices on one before today.

Your comment reminds me of a late business buddy of mine, who used to razz realtors, back in the day, with the comment, "You're in real estate, (grabs crotch) is this a lot?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread