Coca Cola Stoneware jug

Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this stoneware jug that reads faintly "PROPERTY C.C.B. Co." Did any of the coca cola bottling companies ever use stoneware jugs? I know root beer early on was sold in these jugs, but it's large and unusual. I could find no online references to coca cola ever using stoneware. Any ideas? Thank you to everyone. jug small.jpg jug small.jpg jug small.jpg

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm definitely not an expert on coke or stoneware. But to me, this looks a little early for coke. I really don't know. I do know that in the real early days of coke they did use stoneware jugs for syrup. I think it may have had a different label though. I'm sure someone on here can help you more.

OP
OP
F
Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your comments. I read that the coca cola bottling company started in 1899, 7 years after the coca cola company formed. The shape of the jug is consistent with one from the 1890's. I did read though that one way to test these types of pieces is to scratch the "label". If it comes off, it was NOT fired under the glaze and may be fake. The originals I understand have the label or color fired UNDER the glaze.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your comments. I read that the coca cola bottling company started in 1899, 7 years after the coca cola company formed. The shape of the jug is consistent with one from the 1890's. I did read though that one way to test these types of pieces is to scratch the "label". If it comes off, it was NOT fired under the glaze and may be fake. The originals I understand have the label or color fired UNDER the glaze.

I'm not really sure, but I do think the labels were under the glaze like you said. The only jug I've seen for coke had a paper label, but I haven't done any research.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have seen. I believe these might be circa1900 though.

Attachments

• image-3723170547.jpg
    image-3723170547.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3317721031.jpg
    image-3317721031.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3190913755.jpg
    image-3190913755.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 109

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hello FDA,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us this view of your jug X 3. Please show us additional views, including the base, lip, and logo in natural light. How did you come by this piece?

There's a tremendous amount of legend & tomfoolery in the world of Coca-Cola collectibles. Your 1899 date for Coca-Cola Bottling Co. would apply to the Chatanooga Coca-Cola Bottling Co., only, I believe.

All my antennae are up on this piece. Stoneware jugs are seldom stenciled on the back, in my experience. I can't quite make out the shape of yours. Is it a tapering beehive, or straight sided? What is it's capacity? I question if the "CCBCO" stands for Coca-Cola Bottling Co. If it was from Chatanooga, wouldn't it be the "CCCBCO"? I'm unaware of any Coca-Cola bottles using a similar "CCBCO" logo.

Could it be from Chicago Consolidated Bottling Co.? They were a large bottler of the period, who did use the "CCBCO."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread