First ever dug pre ABM bottle

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a very unusually slow and stress free night at work and I've already been blowing up T-Net with posts but I have another one to start up. I was curious who all still has and can post their first ever pre ABM bottle find. Here's mine and it still happens to be one of my favorites although I owned it for around 4 months before I learned enough to even know it was older. It says A Texas Wonder and underneath that is E. W. Hall St. Louis, MO. It's only about 3 inches tall.

Attachments

• image-2591425939.jpg
    image-2591425939.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome info. Not only does that tiny bottle last for two months but it also cured literally everything! I can't believe they got away with that kind of marketing for so long. Thanks for the replies so far. I know some other people have to still have their first oldie to show us.

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first pontiled bottle!
puff.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130602_155307_953.jpg
    IMG_20130602_155307_953.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one there! So far pontil bottles have managed to stay far away from my shovel. Maybe one of these days. Anyone else?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Josh,

Nice one. Mr. Hall later ran afoul of the Pure Food Police: A TEXAS WONDER

You may have the sample size. Extra points for that. 8-)

HallEW.jpg

"HALL E W
HALL'S GREAT DISCOVERY FOR KIDNEYS & BLADDER TROUBLES E.W.HALL WACO TEXAS
slug plate , E W Hall Texas Wonder , later St Louis MO" Antique Medicine Bottle Nexus Section - Ha to He -

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice bottle, just still amazes me how surf can tell you everything about it by looking at pictures.... :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice bottle, just still amazes me how surf can tell you everything about it by looking at pictures.... :icon_scratch:

Yes sir. I can't even count how many times he has stepped in and helped me. Not to take away from all the other knowledgable members. I've had to be rescued by many different good people here. It may sound lame but I remember that I actually got a little excited the first time Surf chimed in and said "I think Josh has it nailed" after I was finally able to help answer a question. He may think I'm crazy and not remember but I do since I rarely am able to answer anyone. I'm slowly learning at least a little more every week.

And to Surf. Thanks for pointing out that it may be a sample size. I think I like it even more now. I was hoping a bunch of other people would show their first old one. That's what I intended to make this one about. I know I've posted that Texas Wonder a few other times but I always forgot to say it was my first true "older" bottle. Speaking of slowly learning, I just the other day realized that this Sperm Sewing Machine Oil had an applied lip. It looked so uniform that I had never bothered to take a closer look. That'll teach me. Now it can take its rightful place as my second ever pre ABM find. These two I will always remember because they both came from my very first dig. I should say my first dug pit. They didn't show themselves anywhere near the first day. It took me a long while after digging those two before I found anything else as old. HH everyone and stay safe!

Attachments

• image-1492909891.jpg
    image-1492909891.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-2266828235.jpg
    image-2266828235.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2244432641.jpg
    image-2244432641.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 125

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the reason i like this forum so much. There are some great people on this site who are very helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you Josh for taking the time to show your appreciation.

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pleasure Bass. A simple thank you goes a long way on forums like this. I've seen people in the other sub forums that actually get mad when they find out that their item isn't valuable after all. Then I've seen that same person ask for help a couple of weeks later and not a one single person helped them out. All the estimates and ID's on this site are 100% free of charge and mostly done by experts. I think those deserve a little thank you at the least. HH everyone and stay cool! It's miserable already in my neck of the woods.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in agreement on the sample size being perhaps a "better" find than the full size bottle. Not taking away from the full size by any means but think about it, how many of these sample sizes are out there? Arguably many, many less than the full size for sure. That find may be much better than you realize.

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in agreement on the sample size being perhaps a "better" find than the full size bottle. Not taking away from the full size by any means but think about it, how many of these sample sizes are out there? Arguably many, many less than the full size for sure. That find may be much better than you realize.

At that dump there was not a single piece of another. I guess that family was a little skeptical about it's magic properties lol.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Oradden & Josh,

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I appreciate it.

I've been digging bottles nearly as long as you've been on the planet, Oradden. Said he, placing himself squarely in the geezery & flatulent column.

When I started digging glass, Al Gore had barely invented the internet. There was not a resource like TNet. I never liked Al Gore, and he could take his internet and shove it, was my thinking at the time. I've got some Luddite leanings, so was late in embracing computers, and still dislike Al.

We share a great hobby. Thanks for helping to advance it. Keep digging...

729px-90-13-2-260-Lewis_Hine.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread