Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bottle 001.JPG bottle 002.JPG bottle 003.JPG

Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on this old Welchs Grape Juice bottle that I found. I'm not very knowledgable on old bottles although I have found a lot over the many years that I've spent walking creeks and rivers in search of artifacts and fossils. Thanks.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intriguing, looks like the mold seam doesn't go all the way thru the top right? I didn't know Welch's was that old.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a good find and I agree with bottlehunterofcoscob about the date. I have found several but always broken.

OP
OP
K

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Intriguing, looks like the mold seam doesn't go all the way thru the top right? I didn't know Welch's was that old.
The mold seam stops at the bottom of the neck. I agree, I had no idea Welchs was that old, but it definitely seems to be old glass.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey kansa,

It looks like your Welch's Grape Juice is a tooled crown, the 1910 date would be close. Is there anything on the base, or heel?

Welch's history goes back to 1869, and his less than successful "Dr. Welch's Unfermented Wine." The grape juice we know and love was introduced at the Columbian Exposition to much acclaim.

"Though the first go-round of Dr. Welch's Unfermented Wine was a failure, the introduction of the renamed Welch's Grape Juice at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago was a great success.

The story of Welch's dates back to 1869, when physician and dentist Dr. Thomas Bramwell Welch developed a method for pasteurizing grape juice in his home in Vineland, N.J. His goal was to produce an alcohol-free wine to be used at communion in his local church. Unfortunately, parishioners saw no need to do away with the traditional wine, and the "Dr. Welch's Unfermented Wine" was a failure.

Dr. Charles E. Welch, son of Welch's founder, was more interested in his father's grape juice developments than in his own dentistry career. In 1875, he returned to Vineland and resumed production of "Dr. Welch's," while still maintaining his practice.

In 1893, Charles changed the name to "Welch's Grape Juice," and debuted it at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Later that year, he made Welch's a national favorite by giving out samples at the Chicago World's Fair. He then decided to give up dentistry and to focus full-time on the marketing of grape juice..." Dr. Pepper Snapple Group

The contents were likely produced at the Factory Building #1 in Westfield:

OP
OP
K

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all of the info. surf, I really appreciate it.
There are no markings on the bottom but I did notice a seam clear around the base of the bottle. You can see it in the top right photo. Does that mean the base was added after the rest of the bottle was finished?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread