Need Help With IDing Two Glass Bottles

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two glass bottles/containers that I really need help with. Any help with an ID and/or possible value will be appreciated.

The first bottle is about 5 1/2" tall X about 3 1/2" in Diameter, depending on where you measure as it is obviously out of round. There are no markings that I can find on the bottle. There are a number of imperfections in the glass, several bubbles and what appears to be a larger bubble with a stone or something within.

The second glass container is about6 1/2" tall X about 4" in diameter. There are no markings on the container that I can find. There are a number of bubbles and imperfections within the glass.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 88
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 73
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 91
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 97
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 90
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 80
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 74
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 73
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 87
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 83
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 92
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 79

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
As Harry said the swirl bottle is new, it comes in a variety of colors, many are being listed and passed off as OLD on eBay these days...

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The flask has a broken pontil mark on the base... that makes me think at least 120 years old.It looks a lot like a "Fire Grenade" filled with water and chemicals to be thrown at the base of a fire to extinguish it. But I'm not positive on that, they usually had embossed writing with the company name on them, but it is the right shape. FireGrenades-COMP.jpg firegrenade.jpg

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though it has an open pontil , it was probably blown in Mexico in recent times.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though it has an open pontil , it was probably blown in Mexico in recent times.

WOW!

I really do not know very much about old bottles but I recently ended up with about 60 of them. It's a long story! I have ordered a book or two, to help me and of course, you guys are great. I am very surprised that even with the bubbles and impurities in the glass and it's misshape, that you guys feel it may be recently blown glass. of course, I had never even considered that.

What can I do to authenticate a piece or prove it to be fake?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
WOW!

I really do not know very much about old bottles but I recently ended up with about 60 of them. It's a long story! I have ordered a book or two, to help me and of course, you guys are great. I am very surprised that even with the bubbles and impurities in the glass and it's misshape, that you guys feel it may be recently blown glass. of course, I had never even considered that.

What can I do to authenticate a piece or prove it to be fake?

You can ask 'epackage' or 'surf' or 'road dog' or a number of other advanced collectors on this forum. As long as you post good images (which you did, thank you), you'll get some reliable opinions. Now, show us some more of your acquisitions.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no,no....not fake...just more recent....

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can ask 'epackage' or 'surf' or 'road dog' or a number of other advanced collectors on this forum. As long as you post good images (which you did, thank you), you'll get some reliable opinions. Now, show us some more of your acquisitions.

Harry Pristis, thanks for the offer of showing more Bottles, etc. I took a couple of pictures of the crates that the bottles came in. It will give you an idea of what I acquired. In addition to what you can see, I have about a dozen more that have embossing on them, which I put aside, that I will put up on this thread over the next week or so. Sorry about te one that didn't come out. I do not know how to delete it.

MVC-001S.JPG MVC-002S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG

Attachments

• MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 67

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
There is some potential in the crates but I see other repros as well and many common bottles. If you could take them out and try and group by similar styles and post pics we can help for sure...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The flask has a broken pontil mark on the base... that makes me think at least 120 years old.It looks a lot like a "Fire Grenade" filled with water and chemicals to be thrown at the base of a fire to extinguish it. But I'm not positive on that, they usually had embossed writing with the company name on them, but it is the right shape.

No disrespect but none of this applies to his bottle, this style swirl bottle was never used for fire grenades and it is a repro as stated. They are being made "old world style" in a number of colors, but they are not old...

OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some potential in the crates but I see other repros as well and many common bottles. If you could take them out and try and group by similar styles and post pics we can help for sure...

I will try to put a few similar bottles together and put up some pics. tomorrow.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread