Brick lined privy unearthed in a foundation hole. Need advice. Never dug a privy.

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do concrete work and when I showed up to set up a footer today I saw what looked like a brick lined privy that the excavator had taken about 1/4 of the privy out. There were bottles on the ground and sticking out of the dirt. I set the footer up and had about an hour before I had to go to the next job so I dug for about 45min with my claw hammer . This is what I brought home with me. There is still more than half the privy whole that is not dug. What do you think????
001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice stuff, that would take up a new shelf in my house

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Larry,

Nice recoveries, sir. Looks like you are right on the cusp of the Twentieth Century there. Is that Coca-Cola dated?

What is the embossing on those sodas? Maker's marks, and/or date codes on the bases may help us date them more closely.

I'd try to get back there early mañana, before someone digs it out, or destroys the goodies.

I like that pipe & the Christmas light/ornament.

1920sXmasLights.jpg

OP
OP
L

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll work on cleaning them tomorrow and get what info I can. I have to go back to pour on Friday. I'll see what else I can find.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As everyone's said, unfortunately not the real old stuff. But if you dig it all the way out and carefully examine the corners of the privy, I bet you could get some older stuff. Good luck!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Yep, good start right there. I scour every brick liner all the way around the bottom hoping for the one left behind from the bucket scoops of the 1800's..Remember the coins are at the bottom too..All kinds of trinkets recovered from brick liners. That usually meant a more wealthy person lived there anyhow. Nice assortment. Kitchels is from Battle Creek Michigan I believe. Hope ya find more.. Just dont get too delayed on pouring, I'm sure the contractor would not appreciate that. Ha....Dig it all. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread