Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a bottle show out in Coventry ct and was asked to bring the ink with me by a historian of pitkin glass works. And he showed extreme interest and he showed every vender and collector of early American glass at the show. And I was given an offer I couldn't refuse so I took it. This is the first item I have ever sold. And I never planned on selling it. But it's gonna get me some new digging equipment and my little girl is gonna have one heck of a Christmas.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a bottle show out in Coventry ct and was asked to bring the ink with me by a historian of pitkin glass works. And he showed extreme interest and he showed every vender and collector of early American glass at the show. And I was given an offer I couldn't refuse so I took it. This is the first item I have ever sold. And I never planned on selling it. But it's gonna get me some new digging equipment and my little girl is gonna have one heck of a Christmas.

I went to the show in Coventry today. Did you display it there? I remember seeing something like it there and I'm wondering if it was yours.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the show in Coventry today. Did you display it there? I remember seeing something like it there and I'm wondering if it was yours.

No mine was being passed around but there was one there that sold pretty early in the morning. It was smaller then mine. Did you pick up anything good there? I picked up a couple bitters.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mine was being passed around but there was one there that sold pretty early in the morning. It was smaller then mine. Did you pick up anything good there? I picked up a couple bitters.

I got there at 8 yesterday. I bought a few pontilled medicines and a cobalt medicine.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I got there around nine. There was some really nice stuff there.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
3000 bucks I can't believe it. And I had no intentions of selling it. I guess it's a one of a kind piece.

Hey Justin,

I wanna hear more of what the bottle show guys said. You know this piece is every bit as Banner worthy as your hat plate.

There's a great story here. I'd encourage you to write one for one of the magazines. There's very few diggers that can say, "I sold one of my finds for Three Large, the other day…"

abgc-mag-02.jpg

Anyhow, I'm gonna vote now, and hope that you've got lots more photos of this Pitkin up your sleeve. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much surf for the vote. here are some pics of the ink from its new owner. and surf I was asked by the owner to write an article about the bottle for that same magazine. and the child on cover of the magazine I met on sunday also hes an expert on early American glass shards. according to tom duffy the historian at Manchester and norm heckler (the head poncho of norman heckler & company) the size of the square Pitkin is one that they have never seen before. and besides the size of the ink the very close ribbing of the bottle is also something that has never been seen before. and to there knowledge is this the only Pitkin ink that has ever been dug. bottle 2.jpg bottle3.jpg bottle4.jpg bottle at new home.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dug Pitkin is the one to the left of the smaller square one which is a more common size but what I hear Pitkin not common period.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with surf, this should be a banner find. Got my vote as well

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...and surf I was asked by the owner to write an article about the bottle for that same magazine. and the child on cover of the magazine I met on sunday also hes an expert on early American glass shards. according to tom duffy the historian at Manchester and norm heckler (the head poncho of norman heckler & company) the size of the square Pitkin is one that they have never seen before. and besides the size of the ink the very close ribbing of the bottle is also something that has never been seen before. and to there knowledge is this the only Pitkin ink that has ever been dug.

Hey Justin,

It sounds like you really got a helluva reception at the show! Pretty unimpeachable expert opinions on the degree of rarity of this piece, in my opinion. Though I'm struggling with the idea of one never having been dug in the past.

I feel certain that somewhere out there, sleeping a long dirt nap, there's others…

Heckova Cinderella story! You went from "What is this ??!!," in the space of 3 weeks, to the toast of the Coventry Show, and undoubtedly the top shelf of a very knowledgeable collector's collection. Have you got visiting rights?

I hope you're busy writing. This is some legendary dig story! Can I vote twice?

montypythonhinthint.jpg

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you surf and bassassasin i would personally love to see a piece of glass up on the banner. i honestly had absolutley no idea of what this bottle was or just how rare it actually is. im new to digging glass and i never expected that i would find something of this caliber ever. honestly i used to get exicted when i would come across hobbleskirt cokes from the mid century. and i have the article in the works. honestly thanks guys

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the kind of stuff that makes this hobby so great. Its A fantastic story that you can tell your grandkids someday. Now, get back out there and find something else. May your back be strong and your shovel be sharp.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Justin,

It sounds like you really got a helluva reception at the show! Pretty unimpeachable expert opinions on the degree of rarity of this piece, in my opinion. Though I'm struggling with the idea of one never having been dug in the past.

I feel certain that somewhere out there, sleeping a long dirt nap, there's others…

Heckova Cinderella story! You went from "What is this ??!!," in the space of 3 weeks, to the toast of the Coventry Show, and undoubtedly the top shelf of a very knowledgeable collector's collection. Have you got visiting rights?

I hope you're busy writing. This is some legendary dig story! Can I vote twice?

I'd have to believe others have been dug also, but not everyone
takes their glass to an Expert :icon_thumleft:

but no you can't vote Twice :sadsmiley:

you can, but I delete the double votes.
Gotta keep things fair.

Thank you surf and bassassasin i would personally love to see a piece of glass up on the banner. i honestly had absolutley no idea of what this bottle was or just how rare it actually is. im new to digging glass and i never expected that i would find something of this caliber ever. honestly i used to get exicted when i would come across hobbleskirt cokes from the mid century. and i have the article in the works. honestly thanks guys

I'd like to put it up there also, But unfortunately it isn't getting the votes :dontknow:

may be Because of Title & Location but again, I need to see more interest :(

(It is in the proper forum., no longer quaifies for today's finds)

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone, please look at this thread again and consider the inkwell RelicDude found as a banner find. It's not everyday we see a piece like this found and posted on this site.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome find RelicDude congrats! If the bottle expert was excited about it that says a lot !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread