Can someone please help me with the value of this old Masons Fruit Jar?

Mkelly315

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone please help me with the value of this old Mason's Fruit Jar?

I picked this up at a garage sale today for $5. I find what seems like hundreds of these online, but not my EXACT one. Here is what I've researched so far:

- Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858
- It has the "Maltese Cross" mark WITH the H, F, J, and Co faintly within the arms of the cross indicating it's from the Hero Fruit Jar company of Philadelphia
- Bottom says: PAT NOV 26 67 with a 290 in the middle
- It's aquamarine in color
- It has a lid that says ATLAS
- The top of the jar is definitely rough and sanded
- It's definitely NOT a reproduction. The glass has bubbles and looks hand blown.

Now I can find many other jars online that are similar, but none with the 290 in the middle. The prices range from about $15 - $100

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
290 is a mold number. I don't believe it would add any value to jar. I could be wrong. nice clean jar

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I can find many other jars online that are similar, but none with the 290 in the middle. The prices range from about $15 - $100

Hello Mkelly,

I wouldn't worry too much about that "290," as bottles10 has said, it's a mould number. You didn't mention the jar's capacity.

"Many variants of the 1858 jars are found with a glass manufacturer’s monogram or logo placed on the front. In some cases the logo is placed directly above the word MASON’S. In many other cases it is placed immediately underneath the word “MASON’S” but above the word “PATENT”. For instance, some jars are marked with a “Maltese Cross” symbol which indicates the Hero Glass Works / Hero Fruit Jar Company, of Philadelphia, PA. On some jars the letters “H”, ”F”, ”J” and “Co” can be faintly seen within each “arm” of the cross. This type of jar is listed as #1939 in the “Redbook” of fruit jars often consulted by collectors. There are other slightly different variants of that jar also (this is just one example)!" Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858 fruit jars

It likely dates from the mid-1880's to 1900. The Atlas lid would be a mismatch.

Sorry, I'm not a jar guy, but I believe this would be the proper lid:

hero-cross-lid.jpg Antique Fruit Jars

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread