A couple of bottle you dont see everyday.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
A couple of bottle you don't see everyday.

Well it's the slow time of the year so I thought I would post a couple of bottles that are somewhat rare. The aqua bottle is a Dr. Henley's IXL California Bitters and is from the 1870's. It's 12 and a half inches tall and has a manufacturers mark on the bottom- W. Frank & Son Pitt. You can see some of the original foil still on the neck. The teal colored bottle is a Duffield. Samuel P. Duffield was the predecessor of the drug company Parke-Davis. He hired Parke and Davis in the late 1860's and retired in 1871. I have not found any info. about him selling any of his products after 1871 but this bottle has a tooled lip. The side mold seam runs up to the very bottom of the shoulder and their is a mold seam around the diameter just below the Duffield embossing. Is this a 3 piece mold or a 4 piece mold and did they make this type of bottle in the late 1860's to early 1870's? The manufacturers mark on the bottom is Wm. McC. & Co. (William McCully made bottles from 1841 to 1909.) Thanks for any info. and feel free to post your rarer bottles so we can check them out.

Wolverine.

SANY0311.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nice bottles, Wolverine! The Duffield bottle sounds like a 3-piece mold (the bottom of the mold by convention is not counted). Three-piece molds were commonly used for most of the nineteen century. Maybe Surf can help you with the research on this one.

skeeteb1

Dec 28, 2013
Springfield, IL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am brand spanking new to the site and I dabble in all aspects of hunting as an amateur, but I think I did well saving some bottles from the land field. Is this where I can post pics to get feedback? If not my apologies but this site has so much going on its easy to get lost...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am brand spanking new to the site and I dabble in all aspects of hunting as an amateur, but I think I did well saving some bottles from the land field. Is this where I can post pics to get feedback? If not my apologies but this site has so much going on its easy to get lost...
yep, this is the place

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wolverine, nice finds you got there and welcome back. Where have you been lately and where did you get these beauties?

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thanks Harry and Bass Assassin. I was just looking at the B.L.M. bottle web site and according to them the bottle is a 4 piece mold. A 2 part mold for the shoulder and a 2 part mold for the main body so you could change embossing or lengths without having to get a new mold made. I didn't give a date when they started making 4 piece molds, so it's still a mystery if this bottle fits the time frame that Duffield, Parke and Davis was in business together. A couple of years ago a guy posted a bottle that looked like the Duffield but had Parke-Davis embossed on it.
Bass I have been working 7 days a week again so I have not been in the river much bottle hunting. I did get in the river on Christmas Eve and the temp. was around 15. I had to break ice as I went upstream but I did find a sperm sewing machine oil bottle so I didn't get skunked. I found the Duffield bottle in the river a few years ago and the Dr. Henleys I had to wait around for 3 hours when they were back filling a trench and this was in the last pile of dirt.
Happy New Year to everyone.
Wolverine.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks Harry and Bass Assassin. I was just looking at the B.L.M. bottle web site and according to them the bottle is a 4 piece mold. A 2 part mold for the shoulder and a 2 part mold for the main body so you could change embossing or lengths without having to get a new mold made. I didn't give a date when they started making 4 piece molds, so it's still a mystery if this bottle fits the time frame that Duffield, Parke and Davis was in business together. A couple of years ago a guy posted a bottle that looked like the Duffield but had Parke-Davis embossed on it.
. . .
Happy New Year to everyone.
Wolverine.

There should be no ambiguity here. Either the bottle is a 3-pm or it's a 4-pm.
bottle_seams.JPG
In my experience, 4-pm bottles are uncommon, much less common than 3-pm bottle with shoulder embossing. I am not aware of any on my shelf . . . except for a few, very large demijohns.

Your Duffield bottle has the shoulder embossing appropriate to a 3-pm bottle; but, we can't make out the seams in your images. So, which is it?

Happy New Year!
-----Harry

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thank's for the comments Harry and here are some pictures of the mold seams.

Wolverine.
SANY0314.jpg SANY0315.jpg SANY0317.jpg SANY0319.jpg SANY0320.jpg SANY0321.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, the vertical seam isn't as strong as the horizontal. Nice pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread