Ruston,La straight sided Coca Cola

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early a year ago i found s broken straight sided coca cola from Ruston Steam Bottling Works in Ruston,LA. The first photo is the bottle i found.

image-1403876991.png

Ever since, I have dreamed of finding another as they appear to be scarce. I have spent hundreds of hours digging but the closest i have come is a glass shard. Recently, one came up on ebay and as a birthday gift to myself, i acquired the bottle in a very heated bidding war. This bottle is a slightly different variation from my dug bottle but close enough for me to be satisfied for now.

image-2534615510.png

image-1347786171.png

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a nice bottle. Are you from Louisiana ? Sometimes you just need to treat yourself to something a little special every now and then,happy birthday.

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bhocc and coilygirl. Yes i am from Louisiana, born here and never moved out of state. Ruston, LA is a twenty minute drive for me now.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its interesting with those straight side coke bottles. Looking at sold listings some are under $5 and others have gone for $2500+. I suppose its that way with most things though lol.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet bottle bass!!

A hometown bottle all the better!'

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen only 2 others of these and 1 sold on ebay in 2004 and the other has never been sold or traded

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Its interesting with those straight side coke bottles. Looking at sold listings some are under $5 and others have gone for $2500+. I suppose its that way with most things though lol.
I did a little reading up on them after buying one pretty cheap at an estate sale a couple years ago. Mine is straight sided and has Coca Cola in block letters rather than script. Also is marked Mobile ALA. Found out that the ones with script lettering are for Coke and the block letter type are from water or other soda that Coca Cola sold and worth considerably less. Still for $10 bucks I think it's a cool bottle. Is there an easy trick without spending money to clean them ? It's fairly cloudy looking but it is free from dirt & stuff.

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a rule of thumb... If coca cola is in script, then it for sure contained coca cola. If coca cola is printed in block letters, most coca cola collectors shy away from these bottles because chances are they did not contain coca cola. The only thing for sure of these type bottles is that they were bottled by coca cola and was more than likely another beverage that coca cola owned or was contracted to bottle for another company

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm loving these bottles, I'm glad you got to get the one you wanted, congrats!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...Recently, one came up on ebay and as a birthday gift to myself, i acquired the bottle in a very heated bidding war...

Hey Killer,

Glad you got it. She's a beaut. This oughta allow you to dig one now… 8-)

Lemme axe you, is there still an itinerant Tamale vendor that travels the Ruston area?

21669664_2_l.jpg
1930s Ruston Coca-Cola Leather Fly Swatter. : Lot 425

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, i've been thinking the same thought.. Now that i have one i will probably dig one, lol. Have not seen or heard of any tamale vendors in Ruston lately. Carl Malone is buying a lot of property on the north side of town and who knows, maybe he'll put in a tamale shop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread