First Find! Weird glass bottle found under mud on a hike! Help me identify it!

Forrestguy

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a hike in my woods and following a small creek looking for cool rocks to take home. I spotted a glass bottle buried under the mud in the creek. I picked it up, brought it home, and now I am trying to figure out what it is and when it is from. On the bottom it says the following

PAT DES.
on the left is a sideways 5 86565
4 (some symbol here) 5
IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0379.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a syrup bottle

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say 1960ish

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Any idea on the time period?

Hello Forrest,

Welcome to the TNet. If you could take an in focus photo of the base, in natural light, we might be able to tell you. That sounds like a design patent number. I cannot tell if there may be an Owens valve mark from your current photo, and needless to say, I cannot see "some symbol."

clue-300x199.jpg

OP
OP
F

Forrestguy

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Surf! Currently it's night time so I need to wait until day time to get the natural light. I am also going to run it in the dish washer just to clear it up.

OP
OP
F

Forrestguy

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some more! Here they are. IMG_0388.JPG That includes the one from above. Here are the bottoms of all the ones with markings. IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0396.JPG IMG_0397.JPG IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0401.JPG

OP
OP
F

Forrestguy

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok the orientations were screwed up a bit. They were all fine on my computer. Sorry about that!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Forrest,

Your "syrup jar" from yesterday was made by Owens-Illinois Glass at the Clarksburg, West Virginia plant in 1945. Owens-Illinois Glass Company

I hate to say it, but you are into mid-century machine made bottles that are totally undistinguished. They have no collector value to the bottle guys. I've been digging for a long time, and I would have left them in place, or dumped them in the recycling department when I got home. If you like them, that's all that counts.

I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic. There are bottles from this era that are collectible. Milks, ACL sodas, perhaps the odd canning jar, or an ACL druggist, but for the most part they are too new, too generic. Perhaps there are older examples buried beneath…

Gen.Crook_staff.jpg

OP
OP
F

Forrestguy

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'm going to be keeping them just because they look cool at the moment. Thanks for the help!

Traveye

Oct 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found one of those bottles except mine has the number 13 on the bottom. Would that increase the value?
IMG_20151022_234610526.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread