fiberglass probe... what do you guys think?

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm just starting out at bottle digging and I was having a hard time finding spring steel for my probe. the metal dowels at the hardware store were too flexible, and to get a custom piece of spring steel made, it cost 60 bucks. So instead of spring steel, I used fiberglass, wood and brass. what do you guys think?

I used the fiberglass rod you would use to put up a reflector near your fence or mailbox
IMG_4251[1].JPG

To make the handle, I simply drilled halfway into a piece of wood and glued it to the fiberglass rod using epoxy.
IMG_4252[1].JPG

To make the tip, I found a brass fitting that fit onto the end of the pole and ground it down to a blunt point
IMG_4253[1].JPG

It seems to be working out pretty well so far.

P.S.: Any tips on finding/digging bottle dumps or privies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks o.k. what you whant is to get the probe to be able to feel,by vibrations the differences between rock,brick,and glass.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a neat idea. I would just be worried about the fiber glass splintering in my hands.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relic, I've never seen or used a fiberglass probe. If you want a spring steel probe real cheap go to the junk yard , find an older cadallic,buick,or some other boat and pop out the spring steel rod on the trunk lid, then weld a handle to it and dress up the tip, Mine cost me $2 at the junk yard .

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make up a decent one out of the hand crank rod part of many car jacks. Small piece of pipe for handle, need to weld rod to pipe though. Works great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread